Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Another Month, at least #CoronaVirusLife

April will be a bust. 

America is shut down for at least another four weeks. People are still not following orders for physical distancing, and more people are falling ill. I am not sure which numbers to believe regarding the numbers of people with the virus nor am I set to believe any damn thing out of Washington, DC. 

 I am scared. For me, fear manifests itself in either anger { more like rage} or extreme depression. Two weeks into this My spouse puts up with fits of rage-- and I am quite possibly the luckiest person to have landed Brian. I know I am currently not an easy person with whom to share a home. Fear makes me angry. Anger makes me sad.  Sadness, unchecked, can lead me into deep depression that can be dangerous. 

No one should be collateral damage in this fight against COVID19 Yet for many people who are prone to mental illness-- that is the risk that we face daily. Self-care has been a daily struggle for me, and I am blessed with a spouse, friends, family and a faith community who love me. 

Even with all this support-- fighting mental illness in quarantine is damn hard. 

Why don't people discuss the effects of quarantine on metal health? While isolation is necessary-- I find it hard to believe that I am the only person on the planet who is willing to name  the detrimental effects that this necessary quarantine has on the human mind. 

For another four weeks, please check in on people. Check on people who have known mental health issues and those who say " I'm okay". Check especially on those who seem to be putting on that " stiff upper lip". 

Love your people-- even if it is from a distance. 

Keep being human . 

Peace...

Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment