Sunday, March 22, 2020

#CoronavirusLife Virtual Worship Beach Closings & Wanderings

   Brian and I tried a new thing this morning. Since our Bishop ordered all in-person church events { including worship} suspended for now due to the COVID19 outbreak, we joined our clergy and other members of our parish family on Facebook Live this morning. 

It was GREAT to "see" faces and hear voices of loved ones. Even though I was sitting at my desk at home, I felt intimately connected to " my people". It was a nice respite from the grim reality that is life during a pandemic. I'm grateful for a community that is united in LOVE and for clergy & church staff who are committed to maintaining our real, rooted & relevant connections during this time away. 

Perhaps it is a nod to my Jewish heritage, but I feel like one of the Israelites-- wandering aimlessly away from a deadly foe. 

 Yet at the same time, I felt bitter sweet.  In the span of a week, this virus' outbreak has taken away so much of what I love-- I'm finding it hard to stay positive in this season of life. Daily I remind myself to " not borrow trouble" as society as I know it appears to fold into itself. This is a hard practice  when everything has changed. 

There are more closings daily-- and although I understand the need for such closings { some people just do not know when to heel advice that can saves lives!!}it is eerie for me to think about armed cops keeping people away from our beaches , and until Saturday the beach had been my safe ' thin place'. I'd not always been the { fairly} well-adjusted adult whom many people know-- and time { literally HOURS} soaking up sun and salt air was part of my healing. 

To be honest, I was taking this Coronavirus Life changes in stride until my beaches closed. That was the proverbial straw that broke this camel's back. 

Lately I find myself waffling between logic and fear/anger. 

I read a lot of dystopian literature, and the image that came to mind tonight is that of Suzanne Collins' _The Hunger Games_ trilogy. States closing their borders to outsiders-- all sorts of misinformation oozing from The Capitol , citizens hoarding food and supplies with no regard for others' needs. It is a part of humanity that is totally unfamiliar to me. 

I live day to day. We all do. 

Namaste,
~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment