Tuesday, June 16, 2020

To Be Loved for Whom You Are: A Great Gift


Card sent to me by my childhood BFF. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie

Today I received in the mail a package . It is my birthday/Christmas package from my oldest friend. She and I have known each other for 41 of my 44 years , and although I've not seen her at all  { damn COVID and Cancer} in two years, we are still very close. Other than my spouse, she's probably the person who knows the most about me--- actually since she is my longest friend she does know more about me than Brian knows { What happens at the Lake while off-duty stays at the Lake} 

I'm reminded what a gift true friendship is--- especially  friendship like ours that has spanned our lifetimes. Perhaps such friendships are examples to humanity on how we are all supposed to live. I'm such an oddball in so many ways-- but my friend not only tolerates but celebrates my weirdness. 

She KNOWS that ' purple is my color' and that I love my crazy hound dog. :) She remembers that my favorite food is dark chocolate. 

Likewise I love and cherish her for whom she is--- I wouldn't want her to try to be anyone other than the best version of herself. That, to me is what being " fully human and fully alive means. 

“The glory of God is the human being fully alive.” 
~ St. Irenaeus of Lyon (AD 202)
How can each of us live into our full potential when we are continually put down  or compared to others? How can a person grow if they are never given opportunities to step out of their comfort zones?

I think the word " love" can mean so many different things. There are many types of love between humans, and to have someone love you as God created you is a precious gift. Both my Lifelong bestie and Brian love me unconditionally-- but each relationship is special. Brian-- although is my life partner-- did not grow up with me. My bestie hasn't spent enough time in Northwest Florida to totally understand  Life At Sea Level.  But both these relationships encourage me to be the best version of myself simply by loving me as myself. 

Peace

~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment