Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Contemporary Photography & Celtic Christian Spirituality

Screenshot of a Druid prayer that I find meaningful, and very adaptable, to my Christian faith. 


Currently I am reading a book called Earth: Our Original Monastery  by Christine Painter.  I've discovered that I already incorporate many of her suggested Celtic practices into my own Christian theology & practice. For instance, in the last chapter that I completed  she suggested that we look to receive photos rather than take them. She said that the verb " to take" connotes a consumeristic action rather than a contemplative one. 

I have been practicing this form of Contemplative Photography for years. Now how I approach Nature , receiving  rather than taking then is an act of gratitude. 

Words matter. 

On the other to receive  is an action verb tat connotes hospitality  and generosity.  We are the receiver of the beautiful Gift that is the photograph. This morning, as I took my morning contemplative walk, a lovely purple bloom caught my eye. Rather than whip out my phone to " take"  poor-quality snapshots.   I took time to that Creator God for the gift of springtime blooms and especially for the Gift of the color purple-- a hue that has been special to me since birth. 

Here is the photo:

Bloom see on my walk this morning before the rains came. What struck me about this flower is that it is solitary-- where are the other blooms? How did that seed get in that place anyway? 

In this way-- I honored the Gift that is this tiny bloom while remembering that we humans are also " Earth Creatures. Purple is my favorite color--- and I gave thanks for a color that has been a part of my soul since birth. 

Yesterday afternoon, when I walked out to see if the mail had arrived, I spotted two anoles sitting on our porch steps. I simply greeted them verbally with "Hi, how are you today?" Although I did not have my phone handy at the time, I was able to receive the Gift of seeing the anoles. 

Slow down, take time to notice the smallest plants and animals in your part of Creation. Be intentional when taking photos of the natural world. 

In this weird, scary world of pandemic, one lesson I've learned is to slow down and appreciate what Gifts are all around me.  Here in Florida, most public venues are closed, stores are slowly opening up  with limited hours. Other than church { when we re supposed to gather on Pentecost Sunday-- May 31, Brian and I will still lead  quiet, monastic life here in Pensacola. 

Give thanks. 
Amen. 

~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment