Monday, May 25, 2020

Communion & Community During a Pandemic

St Christopher's Icon Rosary Beads. There is  tiny icon image of St Christopher carrying the Christ child cross the river-- its too small to be seen in the photo. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie. 

I've been thinking a lot about words and their roots lately. { That happens to writers-- it is a side effect of our vocation}  Both the words  community and communion share the same root, and in more than one language.  According to The Free Dictionary, both words share the same root. Check it out: 

[Middle English comunen, to have common dealings with, converse, from Old French communer, to make common, share (from commun, common; see common) and perhaps from Old French communier, to share in the Communion (from Late Latin commūnicāre, from Latin, to communicate; see communicate).]

According to Dictionary.com, the word " commune" is a verb . Here is the meaning: 

 1.to converse or talk together, usually with profound intensity, intimacy, etc.; interchange thoughts or feelings.
2. to be in intimate communication or rapport:
to commune with nature.
  For Christians, I am pretty certain that our Sacrament of receiving  the Eucharist ; the blessed Blood & Body of Our LORD, fits definition two.  To Christians, receiving the blessed elements and taking them into our own physical bodies is an intimate act with the Godhead. On Sunday, our associate rector mentioned in his sermon that it has been at least 10 weeks since any of us have been able to share in this intimate act with Our Lord and each other. For those of us for whom the 1979 Book Of Common Prayer is the norm or who went to Roman Catholic Mass with grandparents sometimes as a small child, this Sacrament is central to our weekly gathering of God's People. 
 I miss the Gift of Communion at the altar , and my soul will jump for joy when we will be allowed to receive the Sacrament { in one kind for health measures}  Last week, when I read the emailed letter to the congregation from our rector { Head of Staff} , she explained that Communion will not be distributed  during these first couple of weeks of re-entering public worship. { She called this "ante Communion " which is a new term to me tat basically means " without Communion"--  a new term for me.} 
 There is no doubt that I'll miss the gift of the Bread for those first Sundays that we are back together.  The Eucharistic feast is an important part of my walk with God through Christ and the Holy Spirit. 
  However, just knowing that we as  COMMUNITY  { as of today } on Sunday fills my heart with joy. I've missed the Sacrament-- it was hard to see the consecrated elements sent to the reserve during the lockdown. Yet what my soul is starving for is being with my community in person. 
  While there is a log list of safety rules and procedures that we must follow when we re-convene in-person, I'm finding them a blessing rather than a burden.  To hear sacred music played ad sung by designated soloists -- even though congregational singing is not permitted is a small price to pay to sit and worship with my people. 
Hugging and shaking hands are also not permitted-- and as hard as that will be for many of us-- I totally understand why this rule must be in place. For the time being, I'll practice what I call " eye hugging" looking deep into someone's eyes intentionally. 
 Brian and I have been practicing such physical { NOT SOCIAL--- as I the that term for its inaccuracy} distance visits with my parents. Masks are worn, and visits on their back porch. The four of us celebrated both Mother's Day { a day that already is burdened with a lot of my own ' baggage, but that's my problem} and my 44th birthday in this fashion. We ordered take-out seafood from one of the few eateries in Navarre and my shrimp and fries were surprisingly delicious. On both Mother's Day and my birthday we had a Zoom video call with my brother, his wife and the nephew and niece. 
On Friday, Brian and I also enjoyed a safe , physically-distant visit with a good friend { who also practices safety and cleanliness according to the CDC} at the beach. Our chairs were properly spaced out, and it was such a wonderful gift to chat in-person with our friend. She and I  { mask-wearing and staying far enough apart} walked down to the Gulf's edge nd sunk our feet into the healing salt water.  We purposely went to the beach early, and there was no problem staying far away from strangers. Normally, Brian and I are early beachgoers-- we are not fond of tourists-- so the early beach experience is a normal pre-COVID summer ritual.  
To me, my COMMUNITY--- the people whose lives are linked to my own { mostly through church but other avenues here too} are what matter--- whom I miss & will continue to work to protect as we slowly re-enter COVID19 society. 
Come Holy Spirit, indeed......~Sarah
  

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I just re-read this email from early COVID days. I enjoyed as much as the first read. Thank you for including me. I love you sweet lady!!!! God Bless.

    ReplyDelete