Thursday, May 7, 2020

Celtic Christinity and some Druid Roots that Help Me Get Through This Pandemic

Brigid of Kildare, Abbess, Priest, { maybe Bishop of Ireland} Patron saint of many things, including Ireland, beer, ect. Icon writer unknown 

I finally finished the historical novel  Brigid of Kildare   recently, and that excellent novel left me wanting to learn more about the Druid culture in early Ireland, a culture in which my patron saint lived and ministered.  Currently I am reading a book by Phillip Carr-Gomm called  Druid Mysteries .  Carr-Gomm, a Master Druid, has written several books, and this one explains the basic principles of Druidry and that most other ancient cultures across the globe practice or practiced a Nature-based religion. However, Carr-Gom's major focus in this book is the everyday practices of Celtic Druidry that can enrich anyone's life-- especially we Christians. 

Years ago, I'd not dare buy a book on Druidry and share the fact that I'm reading with with anyone { after all I live in the Deep South--- stranglehold of The IBC and Southern Baptist Convention} However in the past nearly three years, I've grown more comfortable with claiming all parts of myself, including my reverence for Nature and how they bring me close to the Triune Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer of Christianity. 

As a matter of fact , my earliest awareness of Creator God was by looking with awe & love at the big trees that are plentiful the Northern Appalachian woods where I grew up.  I especially loved,, and still love, the big oak tress. 


Healthy Live oak in Nearby Gulf Breeze, FL. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie 


Live Oak on the bay of a waterside park that Brian and I visit often. It has strong roots, just like we Celtic people. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie

Now I am sure that a lot of people in my part of the nation will tell me that they feel that Druid practices are contrary to Christianity. As an Episcopalian with some very Celtic Christian connections to the Earth, I disagree . Las night, as I went outside as the sun began to set, I followed Carr-Gomm's advice and sat cross-legged and barefoot on my front yard under our old sweet gum tree. My ears opened to the birds singing, my skin felt the breeze and my bare feet touched Life-giving soil. I even noticed a tiny plant sprouting under out sweet gum tree . 
Tiny unnamed tree in our yard. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie 

Brian planted some hydrangias  and right now they are beginning to show color. Ours are a lovely shade of purple { a royal color} I took the time to both touch { gently} and photograph the plant. 

Hydrangias in our yard. Photographed by The Pensacola Hippie. 

Still sitting cross-legged on the ground, I looked skyward and muttered a two-word prayer.
THANK YOU. 

In these uncomfortable times, Nature, and the practices of Celts of the ancient days, help me stay " grounded " in my faith in God, my love of people, and appreciation for all that is created. I also like to think that the Earth is collectively breathing a sigh of relief  as COVID keeps humans from assembling in large groups.  I wish COVID never happened, but since it has, I find looking t the " big picture" helps me envision what a better Earth we can have after this pandemic has run its course. 

In the Name of the Earth Maker, Pain Bearer and Sustainer,

Amen. Alleluia....

~Sarah









No comments:

Post a Comment