Sunday, May 30, 2021

St Joan of Arc

 

     Acrylic on stretched canvas. " Warrior Saint"  original art by Sarah Beth McCarren 2021

Today is Trinity Sunday. While every clergyperson I know is doing their best to NOT preach heresy today, I am mindful that today is the day the Church honors St Joan of Arc. 

For many reasons, she is one of my favorite Badass Women Saints. 

Joan is known as the patron saint of:

France; martyrs; captives; military personnel; people ridiculed for their piety; prisoners; soldiers. 

She was martyred in 1431.

One of Joan's attributes that I admire much is her certainty of her vocation as a soldier.  In her time, women were absolutely NOT permitted to serve in the Armed Forces , but this little French shepherdess did not let that fact deter her from her purpose. She dressed in men's clothing, and went to battle alongside the French army. 

When Joan traveled to Compičgne to help defend against an English and Burgundian siege, she was captured by Burgundian troops and held for a ransom of 10,000 livres  There were several attempts to free her and Joan made many escape attempts, including jumping from her 70-foot (21m) tower, landing on the soft earth of a dry moat, but to no avail. She was eventually sold to the English for 10,000 gold coins and was then tried as a heretic and witch in a trial that violated the legal process of the time. { Source https://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=295 }

While in prison, Joan wore men's clothing to deter her from assault by the other inmates. 

As a Christian woman who is, in many ways" unconventional", I look to St Joan for inspiration. The feminist movement has taken society further since her days , but there is still a lot of pressure for we female people to act/dress/work/love a certain way that is " acceptable " for women--- especially Christian women.  I browse our local bookstore;s Christian section and my eyes are met with titles like _ Power of a Praying Wife_ and _Biblical Womanhood_ These titles paint only one version of Christian womanhood: that of wife and mother. Where there is nothing wrong with the vocation of wife/motherhood,  there are many Christian women { and by woman I mean anyone whose gender identity is female and uses she/her/hers pronouns} Motherhood is important-- the survival of our species depends on mothers and children.  However, to insist that this is the only  role for Christ-following women is unfair and incomplete. 

Some of us are meant to be traditional women. I am NOT one of those who are so called. It took me a long time to cherish my own life's story and appreciate the ways that God * does* call me to nurture others. 

St Joan reminds me that there is room at Christ's table for all women-- including our trans sisters. 

There are,, and always have been women of faith like our sister St Joan of Arc. Those of us whom God chooses for vocations that don't lead to marrying men and procreating. I am married to a wonder spouse who happens to be a man and I wouldn't want to share my life with anyone else. However, I am a complete person apart from Brian. One of the blessings of waiting longer to marry for the first time is that my spouse met me as a fully formed adult with my own ideas, hobbies, life experiences, ect.  Our life together is built upon mutual respect-- a trait that none of my other relationships possessed.  Since our household includes a dog and a betta fish as dependents, both of us are free to pursue our interests. 

Thank you, Creator God, for our sister Joan. She inspires me daily to follow my own vocation as "prophet" { my bishop's word -- not mine} and activist. In the Name of the Holy Three. Amen. 

Sarah McCarren

30 May 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment