Sunday, May 2, 2021

#HalfwayTo90 : Freedom to be FULLY MYSELF


                                    Me being my unbridled self with " Lucky" , my parents' puppy Photo by                                 Brian. 

It is May, 2021-- my birth month. This year I will be " halfway to 90" , and coming out of Pandemic Life, I plan to celebrate. 

It is true that aging has brought about some physical issues that were not present a decade ago-- I'm scheduled for a noninvasive spinal injection procedure on my actual birthday. { Happy birthday, indeed!!} I am happy to reach the midpoint in my life. 

I can say, with confidence " THIS IS WHO I AM. "

Sometimes I think the COVID year has been helpful in my coming to terms, and becoming confident about who I am and what I value. 

Some people say I am " too liberal" . 

Over the past year I've learned that I can't deal with science-denying  people who choose to think that a virus that killed over half a million Americans is ' a left-wing conspiracy'. I hate how public health has become so partisan, and i refuse to stop my quest of Vaccination Advocacy.  I am also continuing my quest to educate people about why Black and Transgender Lives Matter. 

Regarding the hideous, cruel anti-transgender bill that is heading to our governor's desk here in Florida-- I will continue to advocate for transgender people -- especially trans athletes. 

I'll continue to educate myself on issues dear to my heart. 

If that makes me " liberal" so be it! 

Also, I'll continue to advocate for body-positivity for ALL body types. Humans, in all our physical diversity, are beautiful. Eating disorders are the result of society shaming any body that is not " average. This includes archaic dress codes for school kids. Oddly enough, I am actually in favor of school uniforms--- that way NO ONE is singled out for her " inappropriate" clothing. Dress codes target female-identifying people and people of certain body types. 

I am a feminist. This does not mean that I hate men. I'm married to a male person, and he is one of the world's best humans. Most men are great. But that does not mean that the patriarchal ways of our Puritan past has evaporated. We've come a long way-- and I credit the women who did some serious work to win the rights that my generation takes for granted. We are not done yet-- there is still too much toxic masculinity that permeates American culture. 

I'm halfway to 90-- and finally claiming myself. Life is too short to wallow in outdated, oppressive ways of life. 

Midlife is freeing! 

Onward. 

Sarah McCarren

2 May 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment