Friday, May 14, 2021

Climbing Steps and Slowly returning " Groundedness'

                                Photo of Tybee Island Lighthouse, by The Pensacola Hippie 

Today Brian and I visited Tybee Island, Georgia. This is one of the many islands that compose the " Low Country of South Carolina and Georgia. One of the challenges I set for myself was to climb to the top of the lighthouse-- conquering two fears I still harbor from childhood: a fear of heights & a fear of small spaces. 

 Hi. My name is Sarah. I fear heights and am seriously claustrophobic. I climbed a lighthouse. Furthermore, I climbed the last { narrowest} flight of steps alone . Brian chose to wait for me at the standing located just below the top stairs. 

I came. I saw. I climbed and conquered. 

Climbing the lighthouse is a good metaphor for how I see myself navigating the pandemic. At the beginning of both journeys, I did not know what lie ahead -- nor how long the climb would last. I could not see much ahead -- and this fact scared me. 


                                  The beginning of the uphill climb on narrow steps surrounded by brick walls and little natural light. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie. 

Year 2020 was, for most of us, a year of figuratively putting one foot in front of the other. At times we thought the journey would never end-- as weeks turned into months and more people fell ill. I remember on some days literally feeling my safe, secure house walls close in on me. My mental health during the worst of COVID was another upward battle. There were many days when all I wanted to do was lay down on a landing and refuse to move forward. Each day looked exactly like the day before-- it was an endless spiral of uphill climbing. 

Finally, the vaccines rolled out and I was able to look into the horizon of my life and see a future . 

Yet the post-vaccine life is different. Although I am fully-vaccinated, I still feel an uneasiness about gathering in large crowds with strangers. I cannot, nor do I desire to, stay isolated in my protective  bubble of church people , other vaccinated friends, and vaccinated family members forever.  I need to venture  out there again.  My introverted nature also has me quite content to stay in the bubble of my { vaccinated} circle.  

However, this is not possible. Brian and I are on vacation in Savannah this week-- and it has been wonderful. However, I've learned a few things. For instance I am not comfortable eating indoors at all. Thankfully, we've been able to find places here that offer outdoor seating , but I'm using strategy to get to the breakfast at the hotel before the crowds. I also learned that I'm still wary of public transportation: there are just too many people in those closed-in vehicles. I've managed to enjoy some indoor fun thanks to Savannah's commitment to EVERY PERSON MASKING INDOORS. 

    The stairs going DOWN from the top of the lighthouse. Again, one step at a time and tread carefully.  Photo by The Pensacola Hippie. 

I am grateful beyond words to all the people that made  Vaccinated Life possible. Slowly but surely, Brian and I are starting to emerge into The Big World. { Our vacation being a good big step-- we drove since neither one feels comfortable on a plane or in an airport } 

The CDC today has released new guidelines regarding masking for vaccinated individuals-- and as much as I trust the CDC-- I am not quite ready to burn my collection of face masks yet. In my opinion, there are way too many stubborn individuals who will refuse to vaccinate until it is mandatory. The recent " gas shortage" crisis shows me again how selfish many American people are right now. Again, I was reminded that we cannot govern our own behavior when  public health and safety are concerned: too many people take the New Hampshire slogan of ' Live Free or Die' literally. { honestly-- northwest Florida is full of the LFOD mentality and they were pumping gasoline into plastic bags and buckets! }

I hate wearing the masks in public, but I'll continue to do so for awhile longer--- until the state and nationwide percentage of people roll up their sleeves. 

One foot in front of the other... there is no race here. 

Namaste...

Sarah McCarren

14 May 2021



 

No comments:

Post a Comment