Wednesday, December 1, 2021

#AdventWord #Path

                                   Me hiking a path in the NC Mountains. Photo by Brian. 

Today's word is: PATH. 

 Growing up in central Appalachia I spent a lot of my growing-up years in the woods. As a matter of fact, the empty lot in my neighborhood where we kids hung out was colloquially called " the path". My brother and I-- along with other neighborhood sibling groups-- would spend hours playing on " the path". 

 I love the beaches of Pensacola, but part of my soul resides in the little-traveled Appalachian paths 

 I'm happy while hiking the Appalachians. Brian and I are fairly experienced day hikers and we've learned to trust what lies before us--- especially when hiking new paths.  

 I feel safe in the woods-- having grown up there and then marrying a hiker. Life is like hiking. 

 Be prepared. We make sure to have the correct clothing and gear-- both of us invested in a good pair of hiking shoes. Dressing in layers is important when tackling a new path in the woods, as weather can change at a moment's notice. We also bring fresh drinking water--as the body can become dehydrated quickly {especially on more vigorous paths} Snacks are also a necessity-- but pack trail-friendly fare that does not need refrigeration. It is also easier to pack and serve single-serving foods, such as granola bars. Please make sure to store all trash until the return to the trailhead. 

Do not veer off the marked path. Stay the course. It is safer. Occasionally a detour is inevitable, such as when the marked path is blocked. 

 Watch your step. Tree roots can literally trip a person if they are not mindful of their footing. 

 Use the buddy system: Take at least one other human along on your path. As is life, hiking is meant to be done with people. 

Enjoy the scenery. 

Amen. 

Sarah McCarren

12/1/21 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment