Saturday, August 21, 2021

Affirming and Supporting Neuro-Diverse People, of Which I am One

                                         Hand-beaded bracelet I bought today . Artist is a person who is a client of #PyramidIncorporated, who work with special needs adults in creative endeavors. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie 

I love colors---- clothing, furniture, betta fish plants, shoes, ect. So today Brian and I were browsing the local downtown market when a pretty purple, pink & blue beaded bracelet caught my eye. I went over to examine the piece closely & chatted with the booth-keepers. It turns out that the wall art * beadwork they had for sale is made by clients of Pyramid, Incorporated. 

Here is the Web site for a better explanation than I can give:

Pyramid Pensacola

I first got acquainted with the good work { and promotion of arts! } when I attended a Christmas  concert by their singing group " The Pyramid Singers few years back. I was impressed wit the level of professionalism, and joy that these singers;; all of whom are  ' differently-abled". 

When I saw te Pyramid logo on the booth, I chatted with the people staffing the booth I told them, that as a visual artist myself & former choral singer { I miss that-- but God calls me to other work right now} I appreciate the beauty of each piece on display. The person wo teaches visual arts for Pyramid told me that all they do is show the clients the technique, the choice of colors, sizes, and patters are at the discretion of the artist. 

I am impressed. 

On a more personal note: I know all too well to be judged { by teachers, principals and even some relatives}for having a brain that is anything but neurotypical.  Most people can handle a lot of sensory input, but the way my newborn brain was damaged at birth by a traumatic delivery. All of the lobes of the brain that control sensory input are affected , and in my case I do not process auditory stimuli well. It appears to neurotypical people that I ' have "sensitive ears", but that is not accurate. I CANNOT process certain sounds well. Acoustics of certain places { including places of worship} are hard for me to tolerate. Also, if the TV is on when I am trying to work { write or do art} I cannot get my brain to shut out the TV sounds. Commercials, which are louder than any featured program, also are not well-tolerated by me. 

Auditory processing, which is controlled by the temporal lobe, is my biggest sensory-processing issue -- and the deficit tat makes life hardest for me.  I also have some issues with touch and smell, which are controlled by the same lobe. For instance HATE shoes and socks. One of the blessings for me as a Florida is that sandals { open toes} are acceptable footwear all year long. Any type of medical exam that requires putting pressure on me is torture. I've not yet been able to complete a glaucoma test , the pressure of that puff of air--- a minor annoyance to most people-- actually HURTS me. 

Another area where I have some neurological challenges is with numbers. This was a fairly ovious difference early on in school, as I struggled with learning my multiplication--- not to mention the hell that was high school algebra. I did not know until well into adulthood that others struggle with the same difficulties with math-- an that the clinical term for this learning difference is dyscalculia.  I still ' hate math' but now I know why math is so hard for me. 

  I say all this to remind people that all humans are made in God's Image. Some of us have differences that are harder to detect { and therefore much harder to understand} while others' neurological differences are more seen by untrained eyes. I am blessed to be a part of a family, activism circle, and church community who all recognize my talents and are grace-full with my limitations. 

 I am proud to live in a community group where people of different needs can shine in the arts. Humans, at least in my experience, are designed to create-- and we all should have chances to hone that inner artist. Sing, dance, act, make jewelry, pain, sculpt, write. To create is to be in partnership with our Creator. 

I'm grateful for groups such as Pyramid Incorporated that brings out the creative talents of people who might otherwise be overlooked. 

Thank God for art and artists. And by that I mean art made by all artists. 

Amen. 

~Sarah McCarren

21-August-2021

~Sarah
 

No comments:

Post a Comment