Friday, July 16, 2021

The Mountains are Calling Again, And I Will Go Safely!

                                              Me hiking in Western North Carolina last autumn. Clearly protected from the cooties. Photo by Brian. 

   “The mountains are calling & I must go..." John Muir. 

     Bria and I are prepared for our road trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina. After the hellish year that was 2020-- the spouse and I are taking full advantages of the ability to road trip from our Pensacola home. 

   I need the break from Florida Summer.  Additionally I need some quality time with my { vaccinated} extended family members.  We are avoiding hotels and crowded venues. 

    We are traveling safely-- aware that there are still fools who refuse to get vaccinated against COVID 19. We are confident in the science that says that the vaccines we { and the people with whom we'll share the mountain house}received. Thankfully, the state of North Carolina is wise enough to be aware that some people are leery of public spaces-- and we packed masks in our luggage. Hand sanitizer & rubbing alcohol wipes are stashed in my backpack. 

    Our week will be spent in a tiny hamlet at the top of Beech Mountain, in north-western North Carolina. My brother & I have great memories of childhood trips to this tiny mountain town -- our maternal grandparents invited us for a week's stay for several summers during our growing-up years.  I cannot speak for Matt, but I know I look forward to sharing some classic WNC with my spouse & others who've yet to experience Beech Mountain's summertime charms. 

  We packed suitcases for varied weather.  Beech Mountain's altitude makes for cool mornings and evenings: I anticipate sipping my morning coffee on the porch-- staring at the incredible view whilst wearing a sweatshirt. 

    A week with NO HUMIDITY! Ah, Paradise for this transplanted Floridian. 

    Brian & I honeymooned in Hendersonville, a highlands town located south of Asheville & we returned there last autumn. I was born & raised in Appalachian , so these old mountains and hills are part of my DNA. I love Pensacola, but the Appalachian Mountains are my " thin place": I feel especially connected to God The Divine Mother when I am hiking those old ridges. 

  Onward. 

   Sarah McCarren 

   16 July 2021



 

No comments:

Post a Comment