Wednesday, July 21, 2021

God's Country: Part 3


                                   Me in front of a mural in downtown Boone, NC. Photo by Brian. 

Day 3. 

Brian and I decided to explore Boone, NC-- a 40 minute drive down into one of the valleys. Originally, our plan was to hike an urban trail called " the Boone Greenway". Well, we never found said Greenway, but opted to walk along the historic downtown business district. Boone is the home of Appalachian State University { Home of the Mountaineers} , so the town has a cool youthful vibe. 

We ate lunch at an authentic Vietnamese place in-- Banner Elk, NC! I had the pad thai and the noodles and veggies were fresh. I had the BEST peanut sauce I'd eaten in years. 

Back at the cabin, we had a nice little 6th birthday party for our niece.  We ordered pizza, and the birthday girl requested chocolate cupcakes and ice cream for dessert. I am so stuffed! 

After supper, Brian and I took a short walk down our lane. We met one of the neighbors. Check it out:

                                           Our neighbor is a female mule deer. They are not too common in Appalachia. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie. 

Apparently mule deer are not common in the Eastern United States. The dark markings on her face stood out to me-- along with her big beautiful deer eyes. According to Google, the mule deer is named for their large ears--which are thought to look like mule ears. 

I feel blessed by these gentle creatures who share the habitat with we humans on Beech Mountain. 

Anyway, tomorrow is Grandfather Mountain with Brian? He's never been, and I've not been to this natural wonder since I was a young teen. 

It is such a blessing to be back at these mountains. While Pensacola is home, western North Carolina will always be a big piece of my soul. My present & future is in Pensacola, but my past and some of my heart

Appalachian born-- but I call the northwest Florida Gulf Coast home. 

I am grateful for all my ' thin places". 

Until tomorrow... goodnight friends. 

~Sarah McCarren
Beech Mountain NC 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment