Tuesday, July 20, 2021

God's Country: Part Two


             "St Christopher" enjoys a sip of bubbly wine. :) Photo by The Pensacola Hippie

Day 2 in God's Country, North Carolina. Brian and I did our first mountain hike this morning. According to the trail people, the walk we chose is marked " moderate", the trail proved to be more along the lines of " difficult" for both of us. It is a mile-long trek to this particular peak, and we managed to hike halfway up the trail before we both chose to turn  around & hike back to the truck. My experience of growing up in the Appalachian woods near Pittsburgh helped me to feel safe & confident on the tough trail. 

                                    Me at the head of the trail today. Photo by Brian. 
There were some amazing natural waterfalls on this trail. For me, one of the best parts of the hike was seeing the natural waterfalls. Water is my favorite element: and as much as I love the mountains, I feel the healing powers of water. 

  The hike invigorated my soul: I can spend all day in the North Carolina Appalachian woods. I needed a sweatshirt. As I've said before, Florida summers are notoriously hot and HUMID. It is such a blessing for me to spend time outdoors and not get drenched in sweat.  Highlands humidity is entirely different from HOT humidity in Florida: it is not felt by me after over two decades of Florida Life. 

I am loving life here, & I am not looking forward to returning to hot, humid Florida. If Brian & I ever miraculously come into some money, I'd LOVE a summer home here on Beech Mountain. 

Our extended family rolled in today from Pittsburgh, so there is much-needed family time. COVID has kept us apart for two years, and we are due for some quality time together. 

Until tomorrow...

Sarah McCarren
Beech Mountain , NC. 





 
                                                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment