Thursday, March 11, 2021

EP Thoughts: What will God have me do tomorrow

 

Me at Pensacola Pier , standing by the water at the harbor. We are slowly, carefully re-engaging with life again. But what will " normal" be now? Photo by Brian 

      Yesterday, during Evening Prayer, our priest asked us to consider this  question: What will God have me do tomorrow?'

     On a micro level, I can answer that question easily. House chores, care of spouse & dog, prayer time, outdoor recreation time. Pandemic life is and has been very much monastic in its rhythmic flow.  While I would not go as far as to say that living in a pandemic is now comfortable, it is predictable.  To be honest, there is a weird, sad comfort in the rhythm of right now. 

   Wear masks. Wash masks. Clean hands with rubbing alcohol a million times per day.  Chat online with friends who live in your part of town. Pull hair into a messy ponytail or bun.  Don't bother with lip gloss . Sit down to weekday Evening Prayer online with your priest & others to pray for the world. 

   I can see that the vaccine is slowly ushering a re-engagement with the world beyond our safety " pods". While i rejoice at the new tomorrow that is coming { slowly but surely}  I confess that i am a bit edgy. After a year of " no touching" how does one hug one's Dad? How does one behave in a restaurant? Will I tolerate someone other than myself or Brian touching my hair? {It is in dire need of a professional cut-- Brian's home trims sufficed but my locks need some TLC from Jacob }

   The big question is :What will God have ME do to serve others in this post-pandemic " tomorrow"? 

The answer is : I Don't Know.  After a year of living in a sterile environment, I am not sure what " getting my hands dirty" { figuratively} will look like.  Heck, I don't even think my introverted self can physically deal with crowds of strangers after staying  in a safe " bubble" of people I know & keeping them at arms length. 

   What will ministry look like for myself and other baptized Christians who have loved others by  following the CDC guidelines for ' no contact'. 

  I want to be an instrument of God's peace and healing. But post-pandemic, how do I find my work that God wants me to do? the public scares me-- after all that has occurred with the pandemic and the civil unrest that is just below the surface.  Our recent " yesterdays" are ones filled with illness, isolation, political unrest, and { for many} economic troubles.  As individuals and as a society, we need to move forward-- taking the lessons that this COVID season brought to us. 

  Tomorrow is coming. Am I ready? 

   Amen

  Sarah McCarren

  11 March 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment