Wednesday, December 16, 2020

It's Complicated, but I am " Always Appalachian"


                   Photo of me on the trail in the woods of Western North Carolina Photo by Brian

Last evening I finished _Hillbilly_, and independent documentary by Ashley York. The filmmaker returns to the hollows of Kentucky-- where she grew up-- to discover if she can untangle the mess that is America's views of " Hillbillies". 

  Like Ms York, I was born and raised in the hills of Northern Appalachia.  My formative years were spent in rural western Pennsylvania, eastern Ohio & the West Virginia Panhandle  My classmates' fathers had good union jobs at the steel mill until m teen years. I am not the child of  mill worker or miner--- but I grew up with people whose parents were Rust Belters. 

  That deep, rich Appalachian soil is a part of my being. Yet it is not how I define myself. 

   As is Ms York, I am bothered with how people from rural Appalachia are portrayed in media--- and have been mis- represented for decades.  The " hillbilly" image of a toothless, fat, lazy White person has perpetuated Appalachia's image for too long.  Growing up, I knew people who do fit this unfortunate stereotype. However, the people with whom i associated the most are anything but stereotypical. 

   Appalachia is a HUGE region--- composed of all or parts of 13 states. It is a diverse region-- rural and urban. York's documentary focus on rural " hillbillies" , but a visit to Asheville, NC { one pf my favorite cities} , Morgantown WV, or Pittsburgh, PA wil tell a different story.  Appalachian cities are becoming places of scholarship and the arts. In my lifetime, Pittsburgh has re-invented herself from her Rusty roots to a first-rate medical research center. Our visit to Asheville this autumn revealed a city that flourishes with a heathy downtown life { even amidst COVID protocols} 

Rural areas and small towns do present challenges.  It is true that I know people from my rural high school who have died of opioid use. Its true that many people get out after high school graduation--- causing a real " brain drain". Yet some people choose to stay an make their home there & I commend them for bringing hope. 

 It was pointed out that the federal government & the people of rural Appalachia have a messy relationship. Promises of " bringing back coal" did not and will not materialize, but as long as the deciders in Washington DC choose to ignore the economic needs of Appalachians, the problems of the region will continue. 

  Another reason why my relationship with the region in which I grew up is complicated is that my family-of-origin { parents & younger brother} never  really fit in to rural, blue-collar life. Growing up as a child of two hippies in a socially-conservative culture. However, I cannot deny the kindness that most of the people showed me while growing up as a rather odd little duckling.  In retrospect, I am grateful for my " stranger in a strange land" upbringing in Appalachia, because it offered me a perspective of being from Appalachia without being of Appalachia. 

  I love those mountains & I love the people who inhabit them.  I'll return for visits. 

 However, I'll never stay there. Pensacola is home, and I found my niche in this small Gulf Coast city.I understand fully why Ashley York left Kentucky.  

 Peace to all. 

 Sarah McCarren 

No comments:

Post a Comment