Thursday, December 17, 2020

#AdventWord #Learn

                                         e. e. cummings quote that is one of my favorite sayings. 

Today's word is LEARN. 

 Giving the amount of suckitude of this calendar year, I can easily list the lessons I have learned from 2020. 

  Family is so important. Furthermore, " family" isn't merely those with whom you share DNA: some of my most life-giving familiar bonds are those with whom I share life. 

  I am an introvert. The cancellations of big public events and the lack of public gatherings does not hurt my soul But, as a strong " intuitive feeler", I crave being physically present with people I know & love-- even if COVID precludes touching each other. I miss small gatherings that had been pre-Covid staples of life, such as church & civic activities. I miss serving meals to the needy at a soup kitchen. I miss shopping locally for special gifts from local artisans. I miss the occasional quiet lunch in a restaurant with my spouse--- take-out food is not quite the same experience. 

  I've learned that worshipping on a screen is hard for me. gain, there is so much " work of the people" that occurs during an Episcopal Sunday experience that it gets watered down to another spectator activity. The only time in my entire life that church ever felt like a ' chore' was when everyone was on lockdown. My tradition's style includes engagement of more than just eyes and ears. 

  Touch and eye contact with other people is part of our experience as higher animals. Human communication is much more complicated than mere sounds. If there is a lesson I've learned from ZOOMing, it is how much I miss non-verbal communication.  Zoom lets you " look at" faces, but it really cannot gaze into another's eyes and connect with them on a soul-level.  Seeing others is a whole lot more than looking at their faces on a screen. I've learned that ZOOM exhausts me, and I've also discovered that there is scientific research data to back up my claim of ZOOM fatigue. As an introvert, I've learned that big ZOOM meetings are especially taxing on my brain. 

 During this political season, I have learned a lot about the views of people I love. To be honest, I felt saddened by learning  some of the views of people I love--- and I am still learning how to engage lovingly  with them. This political season has re-minded me that people need not see eye-to-eye politically to still love one another.  Another valuable lesson I learned  is to mind my words--- especially while using social media. Again, the limits of screen-based communication leave lots of room for misunderstandings. 

  I've learned that my spouse is the most patient spouse! Isolation and mental illness do not mix well , and Brian has been a trooper this year. I now I am not the easiest person with whom to share a home, and he has seldom complained while loving me through my worst days. 

  A lesson that is universal in Pensacola is take storms in the Gulf seriously.  _Sally_ threw us a BIG surprise curve ball, and Escambia County, Florida found itself unprepared. People I know are still recovering from home damage due to _Sally_.  We learned to prepare accordingly every time a named storm enters the Gulf. 

2020 has been a year full of Life Lessons. It has not been a good year-- but one in which I believe when many people learned what is really important in life. 

What have YOU learned this year? Furthermore, how can we take these lessons and live better in the future? 


Peace,

Sarah McCarren 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment