Monday, November 30, 2020

2020 #AdventWord #Deliver


                                       Sunrise on Weeks' Bay Photo by The Pensacola Hippie

Toady's Advent word is DELIVER. 

This is a hard one for me, as I associate this word with childbirth. I'm over 40 years old, and unable to birth children. To be honest, I feel very jealous of women who show off their newborn children/ grandchildren-- especially during the holidays. 

 In spite of all the work of feminism most of society considers motherhood a woman's crowning achievement. While I agree that children are beautiful and necessary, I often wonder why the " deliveries of we women who " birth" art, literature, scientific discoveries or other achievements not as celebrated as woman who can and do deliver children. 

Several of the finest " mothers" I know have never birthed a child. { be it by choice or circumstance} yet their contributions to society are valuable. It is to these women I look when the green-eyed monster shows up whenever I see someone's baby/grandbaby smiling at me on social media. 

Women are conditioned to be mothers. But not all of us are supposed to deliver children into the world. 

I'm okay with this fact.  However, I wish that society would stop pushing the narrative of all women should aspire to parenthood. Some of us are meant to #Deliver and nurture new life in other ways. 

Amen

Sarah

30 November 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment