Monday, November 16, 2020

" Almost Normal" Weekend with " My People" In God's Front Yard.

Photo of a tree near the labyrinth on the Campus of Beckwith Retreat and Conference Center in Baldwin County, Alabama. Photo taken by The Pensacola Hippie. 


 For the first time in weeks, I enjoyed a somewhat " normal" slice of pre-COVID life. Forty or so of we " Christophers " from church gathered for a physically-distant yet very emotionally & spiritually close weekend of outdoor fun, on the banks of Weeks Bay in southern Alabama. 

  Never fear -----all measures were in place for physical distancing & safety during this pandemic. Those of us who came to the retreat without spouses or other household members slept in a private room. Assigned seats were the rule in the dining hall-- households sat together and the few of us where came solo sat in our own little unit. Masks were mandatory in chapel and other indoor public spaces & most of the evening fellowship occurred outdoors around a campfire. 

                                   Campfire Friday evening. I'm convinced that fire pits are sanctuaries--- especially Beckwith fire pits!  Photo by The Pensacola Hippie


My assigned table in the mess hall. As much as I missed my spouse, I enjoyed the quality time I had at meal time with both my rector & a woman whom I'd not known at all before this weekend. Table fellowship with my people is something that I miss. I give thanks for the opportunities to connect & re-connect with some of my parish family.  Photo by The Pensacola Hippie. 

 We enjoyed worshipping together both at the outdoor chapel and in the main one. Masks were worn by all while worshipping indoors, and we enjoyed music by a pianist and one soloist.  Chairs were spaced out to allow for plenty of room. 

On Friday evening, one of our Godly Play storytellers presented the Parable of the Mustard Seed , and it was well-received by both children and adults The parish children had not heard an " in-person" Godly play story in months and they were excited for this familiar experience. For months, we storytellers have only been able to offer stories via Facebook live, and for me, it was a blessing to a story told while sitting on the floor with a circle of people I love. 

  I spent a lot of the daylight hours on Saturday kayaking on the bay. The wind made for  bumpier-than-usual rides, but I managed to use all the skills I'd practiced all summer to stay safely inside the kayak.  While on the water, God blessed me { and others} with the gift of seeing a pod of dolphins! I felt a kinship with these beautiful, intelligent aquatic mammals as I paddled around . 

 In spite of a knee issue, I managed to get down to the pavilion and shoot some basketballs with one of the parish children. It was weird, but weird in a good way, to hear my Dad's coaching advice come from my mouth 

"  Plant your feet. Shoot from the waist! "

 " Let's see a long pass. " 

  "I see you are showing off now. " { as the child tossed the basketball facing AWAY from the hoop}

  "Look up when you dribble. That's it! "  

In these strange times, I am grateful for any opportunity to be with people I love.  COVID has robbed humanity of many opportunities, but safely spending time with " my people" in " God's Front Yard" this weekend is balm for my aching soul. It was truly a beautiful weekend-- one that will be remembered as a bright light in the otherwise dark Year 2020. 

~Sarah McCarren 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment