Thursday, September 24, 2020

The Mountains Called: and I Went

One of the many painted bear statues in downtown Hendersonville, N. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie. 

The mountains called. Brian and I went. We had a WONDERFUL time. Now we must leave. 
We've been taking a short vacation in southwestern North Carolina, about 3 minutes south of Asheville. We honeymooned here almost 5 years ago, and fell in love with the charming town nestled in the Appalachians. 

As much as I love Pensacola and the beach, part of my soul will always be a mountain woman. I grew up in the Greater Pittsburgh area, and Appalachian culture is dear to my heart. As much as it was tough growing up in a depressed steel town, the Appalachian foothills were my playground. As a child, countless hours were spent exploring the woods near my home. Additionally,  my maternal grandparents took a house in Avery County, in Northwestern NC and my family and I spent one week there on the summer. 

From the Pisgah National Forest , to urban hiking in Asheville, to the Sandberg property to Kanuga I am one happy mountaineer. It is so nice to get on the freeway and head towards the city in the view of mountains that are among the most ancient geologic features on Earth. The leaves here are just beginning to show their autumn colors. 

North Carolina takes public health during a pandemic very seriously, and Brian and I enjoyed both a craft brew and a good Middle Eastern lunch { sitting OUTSIDE} in Asheville. 


Sarah at the brew place with the traveling " St Christopher" figurine. This little figurine ha put some long miles on during this trip. Photo by Brian. 

Brian and " St Christopher" at our outdoor lunch stop in downtown Asheville. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie. 



Of course we stopped at the downtown Hendersonville candy & ice cream shop that Christie introduced us to almost five years ago. Naturally we bought the darkest chocolate fudge they sold. It is delicious. 



St Christopher visits the sweet shop in downtown Hendersonville. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie. 

Brian and I feasted on a HUGE  home-cooked Southern breakfast every morning while we were here. 

Thursday morning's yummy breakfast. " St Christopher" joined us. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie. 

   It has been a whirlwind of a trip, and we made some great memories. To be honest, I am not quite ready to return home to Pensacola. But " home" is Pensacola and Brian and I have " our people" there. Yet it is hard for me to leave these sacred mountains-- where so much of my early formation occurred. 

Goodbye, Western North Carolina. We'll see you again. 

Peace,
~Sarah







 

No comments:

Post a Comment