Monday, September 7, 2020

" Play Me Some Mountain Music"

 

       My happy feet walking a trail at Kanuga, near Hendersonville, NC back in 2016. 

In two weeks from today, Brian and I will be in Hendersonville in Western North Carolina. If we don't get stuck behind an accident on the Atlanta Bypass, we should arrive at our Bed & Breakfast at 4 PM Eastern Time-- after leaving at the butt-crack of morning. 

Yesterday, our priest encouraged us to think of a place in Nature where we feel the most connected to the Divine. Our congregation is observing "   A Season of Creation" , along with Christians of every denominational stripe from the first week of September until St Francis' Day , October 4. 

I live in one of the most beautiful coasts on Earth, and I encounter The Divine here often.

However, there is nothing that brings me closer to The Creator Of The Universe than hiking in the Appalachian woods of western North Carolina.  I feel safe and " at home" among the big , leafy trees, dark soil , big rocks and babbling brooks. 

I want to bathe in cool swimming holes that are fed by majestic waterfalls. 

My soul desires to rest my mind, soul nd body under a safe, sheltering canopy of leaves on BIG trees. 

I want to take off m shoes nd dig my feet into that sacred, ancient dirt.  In the morning, I want to sip my coffee on the front porch dressed in layers of a sweatshirt over a t-shirt-- shoes with socks & long pants. 


For me, some of my best memories of childhood occurred in Western North Carolina. I recall hiking up to the summit of Beech Mountain { near Boone, NC} with my brother. I remember trips with our parents to the Mile-High Swinging Bridge on Grandfather Mountain-- I was terrified in the best way possible I'm not sure if I want to walk across the Mile High  Swinging bridge again, but looking at the valley from a birds-eye view was incredible. 

I'm looking forward to our planned urban hike in Asheville, we plan to first visit the botanical gardens, enjoy a cool craft beer out on the sidewalk, browse the used bookstore there, and see the rest of downtown via hiking boots. Brian and I did not get to Asheville during our first trip together to the area, and we are both looking forward to this new experience.  Many people re trying to convince us to go to The Biltmore Estate  in Asheville, but I cannot justify the steep price of tickets { 65 dollars per person } at this time. And truthfully,  I am glad that we can spread out our activities in Asheville-- and not spend all day in one activity. 

During these strange times, nd especially during this hot and humid Labor Day at home I'm cheered by thinking of spending time with my favorite person in one of my most sacred places in all of Great Earth. 

" Mountaineers are always free." West Virginia State motto, and true for every Mountaineer in any state. 

Amen. 

~Sarah








No comments:

Post a Comment