Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Herons and Their Messages

                           Blue Heron on the boat launch dock. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie 

  I've found some semblance of " normal" during these surreal times while out in Nature.  Brian and I head out in the morning, before most people are awake and/or cognizant and enjoy some fresh air and a mask-free outing. 

   During my time on the water, I've become quite friendly with some of the shore birds. I am particularly fond of the resident herons who live there. Over the past six months they have learned to trust me enough to allow me to quietly paddle next to them for a photo opportunity. 


According to  http://www.blueheronenv.com/meaning.htm,  Cherokee tribes believe the following about the Blue Heron: 

According to North American Native tradition, the Blue Heron brings messages of self-determination and self-reliance. They represent an ability to progress and evolve. The long thin legs of the heron reflect that an individual doesn't need great massive pillars to remain stable, but must be able to stand on one's own.

Blue Herons have the innate wisdom of being able to manoeuvre through life and co-create their own circumstances. Blue Herons reflect a need for those with this totem to follow their on unique wisdom and path of self-determination. These individuals know what is best for themselves and need to follow their hearts rather than the promptings of others. Those with the Medicine of the Great Blue Heron may sit until the rest of us loose patience. And, when they follow the promptings of the heart, they are one of the most magnificent when they choose to soar.

Hmm.  Self determination. Self reliance. An ability to evolve. Ability to stand on my own thin legs while knowing what is best for myself & not needing to follow a crowd. 

All of the traits that I listed are either traits that I already possess { ability to evolve & knowing how to stand on my own two legs without needing to follow crowds} and what I aspire { more self determination & self-reliance} 

I am not sure exactly what Heron is trying to tell me, but I do notice her. 

During these strange times in human history, all of us have been forced to adapt to an uncomfortable , unnatural reality. On my worst days, such as today, the idea of " keeping on keeping on" in Pandemic Existence is daunting. 

Herons are usually solitary birds, preferring to hunt alone. yet they also can be quite social.  These birds, in spite of their small head size, are intelligent . I remember witnessing this trait of Heron a couple years ago while Brian fished in Fort Pickens. He had left some bait fish in his net and the Heron who lives there figured out how to use its beak to pry the fish from the net.  

According to Celtic traditions, Heron is full of magic because it lives in the marshland---that environment between the " land" and " water" ecosystems. Perhaps Heron brings forth the parts of my life that remain " both/and" . Maybe Heron is also trying to teach me that it is sometimes necessary to see situations in shades of gray. 

Today I give thanks for Heron. 

Amen

~Sarah




 

No comments:

Post a Comment