Friday, September 18, 2020

Sneaky " Sally"


 A gas station in Santa Rosa County, Florida. Long gas lines are always the norm post-storm. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie 


Pensacola, and the communities surrounding her, got an unwanted & unexpected visitor Tuesday night. " Sally " which was predicted to visit the Louisiana/Mississippi coast, took a dramatic turn EAST and landed on the shores of Alabama. Pensacola, located directly east of where the storm hit land, got the easterly winds nd rain--- the worst side of any tropical system. 

I am at my parents' house . They never lost power and they have internet access. I'm heading home tomorrow , as we need to prepare for vacation. Our scheduled departure date is still Monday morning, and I need to complete a few last-minute tasks

Downtown was flooded as rain pummeled our area for hours. Thankfully, Brian and I live in a part of town that is over 100 feet above sea level-- we are not a flood risk. The hours of rain left much standing water on our yard & street, but the drainage & the sand in the yard helped dry our property & street where we live. Other parts of my City & County are not so fortunate.  Downtown was under water , and many trees fell both in our Northeast Pensacola neighborhood and the neighborhood where our church building is located. 

Santa Rosa County, where my parents live, did much better. Mom and Dad never lost electricity at their house, and had minimal yard and fence damage. However, the beaches are totally decimated. 

The main bridge between Gulf Breeze and Pensacola has been damaged--- it is unusable for the immediate future. News tells folx that it will be 60 days , but I am very wary of that timeline. the alternate route east from Pensacola is not easy for many Pensacola residents, so traffic on the interstate will increase soon. The state has lifted the toll for the newer bridge from Gulf Breeze to a point directly north of there, and that will help ease some of the congestion. 

Curfews are in place for all of Escambia County from 7PM until 6 PM. I am glad for this preventative measure, because many traffic lights are still out and it is easier to control potential looters during daylight hours. 

When I am here, I am able to use the internet to find information and to see how others are coping post-storm. Brian figured out a way to hook our TV to the generator so we can both charge our phones and watch the local news. Knowing where we can find gas helps ease some of my anxiety and I borrowed a book from my parents' house. 

Tonight, Jews will celebrate their New Year--- and I wish everyone a blessed, happy Jewish New Year. I am ready to kick 2020 to the curb. 

Shana Tova, Friends....


~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment