Saturday, September 19, 2020

And, Year 2020 Keeps on Giving


 My church's building, St Christopher's Episcopal Church in Pensacola, Florida. Front yard, with steeple in view. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie. 

The Year Of Our Lord 2020 is the year that keeps giving humanity unwanted gifts.  The pandemic-- where we all were asked to isolate  for two weeks in order to ' flatten the curve" has turned into a months-long ordeal. In spite of regulations, Americans refuse to heed the regulations set forth to protect everybody. 

States insisted that schools open, and more people catch the virus. People are getting laid off in industries across the economy--- usually with the lowest-earning employees getting cut first. 

The Atlantic storm seasons has been especially horrendous . The most recent storm TOTLLY changed its path---- wreaking havoc on the Alabama and western Florida Panhandle. As someone who lived through this storm, it was truly terrifying. The rains from the outer bands of " Sally " { By the way NEVER call me by that name: my name is Sarah} started arriving Tuesday evening. Rain did not cease until well into Wednesday afternoon. Brian and I had not shuttered our home { as was the reality for most of us here in the Pensacola area}. Without electricity, my spouse and I joined others for a front-row view of " Sally's" wrath.  Pensacola is located to the east of where the storm made landfall: so we fell victim to her angry east winds. The howling of the wind of a hurricane is something that is indescribable. 

Remembering IVAN 's coming ashore sixteen years ago, I felt the PTSD symptoms. Although this storm was milder than IVAN it shared many of the same characteristics. For instance, water was the biggest destroyer of property--- the winds made " Sally " a Catagory Two. 

Post-storm, and as soon as it was safe to do so, I went to my parents' house . They did not get the brunt of " Sally's" east winds , and retained their electricity. It was easier for me to deal with my storm trauma in a house with power than stare at the wall at home while my spouse & some neighbors chopped up a tree branch that had landed on our roof. 

Yesterday, as I was preparing for bed, I learned of the death of Justice Ruth Ginsberg. { may her memory be a blessing} If a pandemic and a hurricane were not enough in September of 2020, now one of my feminist icons has died ! To be honest, I am still processing this news: I'm trying hard to not " borrow trouble" by thinking about who will be put in RGB's place. Those thoughts will take me down a dark road, and I simply cannot afford the luxury of bemoaning right now. Rather, I choose to honor Justice Ginsberg's life and legacy by continuing to work for justice for ALL persons. As a female person, I owe so much to RGB and the women who caused GOOD TROUBLE . Due to them:

~ I was able to play school sports. 

~ I can own property on my own. 

~I can have my own credit card. 

... and more. 


But our fight for equality is not over. Transwomen & women of color still suffer discrimination. As a White cisgender woman, I realize that not all female-identifying people enjoy the same rights as I do. Following RBG's footsteps, I choose to educate myself on the issues that women of color and transwomen face daily. Most of the time I'm not correct, but a willingness to learn is key to successfully causing good trouble. 

Educate yourself { and others} Advocate. Never Give Up. 

By golly, we need to work TOGETHER to effect positive change. RBG would want progressive Americans of all stripes to unite Compromises must be made by everyone if we are ever going to move our society forward

For Jewish people worldwide, today marks a new year. 

L'Shanah Tovah

~Sarah 

Rosh Hashana 2020. 

~

No comments:

Post a Comment