Saturday, January 1, 2022

Screw you, 2021-- on to A HOPE-Full 2022


                                                      Photo by Brian.  Hope-y 2022. 

Year 2021 was a year of a lot of " suckitude." As we ease into the next turn of the calendar, I am cautiously optimistic that things might get better.

 I had high hopes for 2021, but it ended up offering a lot of shit thrown my way. I wake on this New Years' Day with hope-- which scientist Jane Goddall says is essential to the survival of the human species. If you need a book by someone who has lived through a lot of shit & still retains her hope for humanity, I highly recommend Goodall's book _The Book of Hope_ as part of a Reading List for '22. 

 Hope is not wishful thinking. Hell, I do not know the last time that I indulged in wishful thinking.  My spouse says I am too much of a pessimist -- but I prefer to think I am more of a realist. I think back on this last year--- and the year prior to that one & I've seen some ugly behavior by we humans. To be real, I've probably participated in said ugliness, too. 

 First, there was the attempted coup by Americans. Misguided to a point of cultishness, Americans from all over descended on our nation's Capitol building in an attempt stop the democratic process of certifying votes by means of scare tactics and violence.  

  As vaccines became available, my hope surged. Alas, there were {and still are} selfish fools who think their " freedom" allows for them to shirk their responsibility towards the wider human race. It is 2022, and one of my goals I set for myself is to tackle things in life that continually push the anger buttons-- that which I cannot control yet tend to get " stuck" on. The people who antivaxx and antimask are a huge trigger for me. There are other triggers that I will keep to myself until time for Confession. 

 As part of meeting this goal, I plan to make use of my faith tradition's Rite of Reconciliation. We Anglican Christians have a rite that is similar to our Roman Catholic siblings' Reconciliation. However, the Anglican attitude towards Reconciliation is " All may {partake} Some should. None must" It has been three years since my last Rite of Confession, and I feel led to once again meet with my confessor. She also happens to be my rector and one of the few people whose advice I trust--- even {and especially} when I don't particularly like what she asks me to do/not do. 

Another hope-full goal I have for this year is to eat a larger volume of food, but to eat mindfully. Brian and I are pretty close to a plant-based diet {occasionally we indulge in meat} However, I need to make sure that my body has all the essential nutritional elements needed to be healthy. My spouse will join me in this mindful-eating journey. 

Brian & I plan to return to Beech Mountain, in Western North Carolina this summer for a week-long retreat and respite with family. We were fortunate to take two trips in 2021. Savannah was my birthday trip in May-- a first time for both of us to visit that charming city. 

                                     Tybee Island Lighthouse. Near Savannah, Georgia. 
 My return to Beech Mountain, NC was magical.  My brother & I went there as children years ago with our parents-- and my early experiences here are why I consider Western NC as one of my " homes"-- even though I never resided there. To me " home" is where one's soul is & I feel a special soul-connection to the North Carolina Appalachians. 
                                          Southern McCarren Siblings. Beech Mtn, NC. 

Late 2021 saw the death of a good friend & mentor in my life. Although she had been ill for a long time, COVID kept us from seeing each other until autumn. " Doc" and I would write emails {almost} daily but we could not safely see each other until late summer. I am glad I took that risk & made that after-Mass visit to see my former college choir conductor-- a woman whose wisdom & life lessons shaped me into the woman, and Christian I am right now. I'm still looking for that one photo I have of us together -- it was right before or after a UWF Singers concert. I give thanks for Doc's life-- she impacted everyone she met. But to be honest I also miss her here on Earth. I'll probably miss her forever, but rest in knowing what a blessing her memory is to me and countless others.  Brava, " Doc" 
.
My faith community weathered the worst of COVID-tide well. In July we were able to welcome our new associate priest, Reverend Ansley. She is a Yale Divinity School graduate and is a wonderful addition to our community. Ansley+ came to us as a deacon and was ordained as a full priest in Christ's Church in November. This was the first occasion for me to see siblings-of-faith from sister parishes in my Diocese-- it was truly a Central Gulf Coast mini-family reunion. 

                                     " Aloha Party" to welcome our associate clergy back in July. 

   My parents celebrated 50 years of marriage in November, and a cousin on Mom's side of our family got married. Brian& I were able to make that trip to Atlanta to celebrate Alex and his new bride, Holly. 

                                           Photo by Matt.  Mazel tov, Alex & Holly! 
My brother and his family bought a great house in 2021-- and it has room for all of us. One of my hopes for this next year is to see more of the Atlanta family, including the Atlanta Jaffe kin. 

In closing, I want to say that I am very cautious, yet hope-led this New Year. The last five years of life have whittled away any naive tendencies that I might have carried over from my younger years, but I'm enjoying the early " crone" years of midlife. I'm grateful for the people I know who help me be the best Sarah I can be daily.  2021 was rough, but I have hope that science will make COVID 19 akin to influenza-- controlled. 

Shalom...

Sarah McCarren

New Years' Day 2022. 







                             



No comments:

Post a Comment