Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Why I think Betty White Was a National Treasure.


                                        Ms Betty White was among the G.O.A.T s in Hollywood. Thank you for being a friend and role model, Ms. White. Cartoon in the General Use 

Mere weeks before her 100th birthday, Ms Betty White-- whom millions knew as " Rose" on the hit TV show _The Golden Girls_ has died. 

 For many reasons, I loved Ms. White for the PERSON she was as much {if not more} than I loved her role on the hit TV show that brought me many inappropriate laughs as a school-aged child in the 80's 

 Betty White was unapologetically her own person. In a time when women {even Hollywood women} were expected to conform to sexist and sometimes misogynistic societal norms for women. She divorced a man because he refused to support her career goals --  TWICE before her 30th birthday! { source https://www.ibtimes.sg/who-were-betty-whites-husbands-legendary-star-got-divorced-twice-before-age-30-62049  } She's proof that a beautiful Hollywood woman can and sould not depend on marrying well in order to advance her career. 

 White married game show host Allen Ludden and, although the couple never had children, Betty White was a stepmother to Ludden's children from his first marriage. After this spouse died of cancer, White chose to not marry "Once you've had the best, who needs the rest?"  she is quoted in an interview with the Late Larry King of CNN. 

Traditional, patriarchy-upholding people, take note. Ms White never had children of her own. That's correct, she did not feel that biological motherhood {and later grandmotherhood } As a 40-something woman who married " later in life { I was 38 } " & am unable to bear children, it is hopeful for me to read life stories of famous, and successful women who never had children. Betty White took control of her reproductive health at a time when women were expected to marry and push out babies quickly. 

 I'm blessed to have several childless sisters to whom I look up. But to be honest, even in these post-new millennium times, I feel like an outsider among many age-peers simply because I've no progeny. It's a natural " club" for mothers & grandmothers & I know I'll never be asked to join them. That is why the life and work of women like Betty White inspire me. 

 Ms White was a vocal advocate for racial equality & a supporter of LGBTQ+ persons in a time in history when White, Protestant {Male-driven} Straight people were seen as the norm. Betty White used her celebrity to give voices to vulnerable Americans. In her honor, I am re-dedicating myself to equality work. 

She also adopted a lot of rescue dogs. 

Betty, rest well. Thank you for being a friend and advocate for so many. Thank you for defining yourself on your own terms. Peace, Sista! 

In Love and Liberation...

Sarah McCarren 

1/4/22

No comments:

Post a Comment