Sunday, January 2, 2022

#AdventuresofAnneLynne : New Years' Day at Navarre Beach

                                      "Anne-Lynne" and me at one of the Navarre Beach walkways on New Years' Day 2022 Photo by Brian 

 Hope-y New year, everyone. 

That is all I can dare to have as the calendar changed and a new 12-month cycle of keeping solar time begins. As I stated earlier-- 2021 dashed most of my hopes to totally get away from COVID. Here we are again in January, and people I know still refuse the request of community leaders regarding masking and/or vaccination. So, the best I can offer people as a greeting for this New Year is may it be hope-full.  Y'all, I simply cannot handle any more heartbreak brought on by COVID and people refusing to be good humans.  I'm not " happy", but I can be " hope-full". 

 Anyway, Brian and I enjoyed a New Years' gathering of food & football at my parents' house. the weather was breezy & sunny, so I suggested to Brian that we drive across the Navarre Causeway to see the Gulf. Dressed in jeans and a light jacket, we parked the truck at the first beach access area and strolled to the Gulfside recreation area.

 Brian chose to stay on the wooden walkway deck, but I removed my sandals and sank my feet into the soft & white Gulf Coast sand. I walked down to the water's edge and dipped my feet into the chilly water. BRR, this would suffice as my " polar bear plunge". 


                                            Yikes! The Gulf is too cold in January! 
I let the cold water wash over my feet as I closed my eyes and recalled the waters of baptism. At the start of another year of the Gregorian calendar, it felt good to connect with both my Christian identity & my Celtic Druid ancestry and give thanks for the gift of water. Water can be life-sustaining and life-destroying, and I prayed for an uneventful Atlantic storm season. 

I got out of the water and walked a bit, coming to the area under the Navarre Fishing Pier. Since I'd promised Brian that I would not venture far, I did an about-face and walked back to the walkway near where we had parked the truck. I noticed that there were two styles of beach-going dress. First there were locals such as me: dressed in street clothes and jackets. The second group of bathers came in swimwear. Several of them were in the water swimming, paddleboarding, or even surfing {the surf was up due to the front arriving later in the weekend} 

                             The Gulf is beautiful, even in a windy January afternoon. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie. 


 Portuguese Man-O- War creatures washed up near the shoreline. These things can STING, so I carefully watched my step in going to & from the water line. You DO NOT want to get stung by one of these creepy-looking critters! Photo by The Pensacola Hippie. 

My soul needed that sun, sand and salt air therapy as much as it needed a good supper at Mom & Dad's house. I DID NOT pack up everything & leave everyone I knew in order to spend winters indoors. I'm grateful that Life At Sea Level allows me to get my Nature quota on most days. 

Peace...

Sarah McCarren
January 2, 2022



 

No comments:

Post a Comment