Wednesday, July 15, 2020

#WhoAreYou? Sower, Seed, or Soil during the Pandemic


Tiny sprout of a tree in our yard. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie. 

Sunday's lectionary has us looking at the Parable of the Sower. This story, like most parables, invites the hearer to contemplate which " actor" in the parable we feel that best illustrates our current walk with God. 

I am sure that COVID has changed many people's perspectives on, well---everything. 

I feel like I am the good seed that is struggling to grow in the rocky soil. Living this Covid lifestyle has me feeling stifled and strangled. Each time hope tries to take root, more people get sick and pandemic life lingers. 

I try my best to reach towards the sun { Son= Jesus} but am overshadowed by the darkness of the pandemic. I am someone who thrives in community and keeping safe from the virus has me shutting down emotionally & spiritually  . Practices that fed my soul during the early days of this pandemic now leave me empty. For instance the novelty of Zoom has worn out its welcome. Every time I sign on to the videoconferencing platform, I am reminded of the soul food that I've been denied during this time of isolation & physical distancing from others. I know I should feel grateful that Zoom is available, and to  certain extent I am  grateful, but this two-dimensional existence that we are forced to live right now is crushing. 

I do it { stay isolated} to keep others & myself well and I will continue to do so. Yet , like that seed in the rocky soil, I lack room to " take root" and " reach towards the  sun". 

I'm stuck, along with everyone else. 

Like that seed in the rocky soil, this pandemic has me dormant. My creativity has suffered  due to this pandemic, since I can't reach for the sun & grow, I am not producing " fruit" by way of my writing and art. My Muse hasn't been hanging around, and as a writer I am used to words flowing freely.. The rocky soil of Pandemic life has left my word-well nearly dry. 

I don't know when this pandemic will end, and that lack of knowledge only adds to my feeling like a seed stuck in rocky soil. I can't look forward to growth  when everything about humans being " fully alive { and in community} is suspended. 

Wear the mask, so all of us can look forward to a future of  full lives again. 

Amen. 

~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment