Wednesday, July 22, 2020

More " Good Trouble"


Graphic create on a " Cricut" by my friend, Viv. 

Brian an I took a chance today { it could have been a yucky summer morning of rain} and drove over to the park for me to take " Good Trouble" out on the water. I got a full hour of paddling done before the wind picked up and I knew I'd need to put the boat away until another time.  I'll probably wake up with sore shoulders tomorrow-- as I had to really lean into the wind as I paddled against gusts moving across the bay. 

Since the pandemic keeps me home from the gym, I've discovered that kayaking is much more fun than free weights. I'm thin { Mom calls me a " pencil person"} and adding muscle to my upper body has always been a challenge. To be honest, I'm not much of a gym rat-- I much prefer getting my workouts out-of-doors. Pre-COVID, I would only head to the gym on days when I absolutely could not do my powerwalking. 

It was a quiet morning. One of the highlights for me was getting close to a tree where an osprey perched. From my vantage point on the water, I saw the pretty patterns of the bird's feathers. It looked at me and I returned the stare,  trying my best to mimic as closely as possible its call. Brian and I have been following this osprey nest since springtime, and it is always a joy to see what are avian friends are doing when we visit them. I like to think that they know us as well as we know them. 

In this surreal time in history, I am grateful that I have a place where I can go to re-connect with The Divine, as well as my true self. Out on the water, I am free of the concerns that plague my mind on land. My total immersion in Nature by way of the kayak is the perfect healthy, legal escape from  a pandemic that threatens my mental stability. The policies of our incompetent elected federal and state officials cannot reach me here. 

On the water, I can literally feel the presence of God surrounding me. Especially now, with life continuing by way of screen time, my soul soaks in the fresh air, soft sand and cool water. My ears perk up to hear birds call and fish jump. I'm alone out on the kayak, and relish my solo time { in spite of  the extroverted feeling function of my personality, I am a true introvert who is " recharged " by alone time.  As a matter of fact, one reason that kayaking appeals to me is its solo nature-- I am alone in the boat & can chart my own course. I find myself pacing my breathing to the rhythm of my paddling-- almost like a form of yoga. 

I thanks the Earth-maker for every day I am given to spend on the water. 

Amen. 

~Sarah

Feast Of Mary Magdalene 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment