Saturday, February 1, 2020

Imbolc and St Brigid

Today is the ancient Celtic feast of Imbolc, the day when daylight starts to appear for longer periods of time-- halfway between the winter solstice and the spring equinox.  Christians celebrate this day as the feast Day of Brigid of Ireland, one of the patron saints of the Irish people, Brigid is also known as the patron saint of brewers, and as a beer drinker with Irish heritage, I smile at this fact. 
 She is also known as Muire na nGael or Mary of the Gael which means Our Lady of the Irish.

Brigid, like myself, is the product of interfaith parents. Her mother was a Christian woman who was sold into slavery into a family of Druids.  She represents to me  person who gracefully straddles two faith traditions-- someone whose Christian faith is only enhanced  by her Druid blood. Her story gives me strength to continue living life as a Christian whose Jewish roots  only enhance my spirituality. 

Brigid never married, and to me represents someone who is complete in herself-- a strong woman who chooses to live independently of a male partner. She represents to me the strength of the Sacred Feminine and s a reminder that the Divine Soul is in all of Creation. The title "Our Lady of the Irish suits her, because she embodies many traits of the 'earth mother" archetype. 

I was born in the Northern Appalachian, and have always cultivated a reverence for Nature as part of my understanding of God. I cannot  spend time outdoors and not at least wonder at the intricate details of Creation. Like my Druid ancestors, and St Brigid herself, I see God in all of the natural world. 

This morning, I prayed the Prayer To St Bigid. These words echo much of what I hope and pray for in 2020-- 

Brigid
You were a woman of peace.
You brought harmony where there was conflict.
You brought light to the darkness.
You brought hope to the downcast.

May the mantle of your peace cover those who are troubled and anxious, 
and may peace be firmly rooted in our hearts and in our world.
Inspire us to act justly and to reverence all God has made.

Brigid you were a voice for the wounded and the weary.
Strengthen what is weak within us.
Calm us into a quietness that heals and listens.
May we grow each day into greater wholeness in mind, body and spirit.
Amen.

And again, we faithful say AMEN. Let it be so, now and always. 

~Sarah { AKA The Pensacola Hippie}

Feast of St Brigid/ Imbolc 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment