Monday, January 27, 2020

#NeverAgain 75 Years Later

 On this date 75 years ago, the Allied forces in Europe liberated the Auschwitz death camp . It was here, that the Nazi official and soldiers systematically murdered 6 million European Jews, countless Romani people, disabled individuals, and LGBTQ persons. 

 Each year, people say " never again". Yet as our society gets further divided along lines of race, creed, sexuality, ect. I feel called to be an agent of change for the better, but am unsure how to start this work of reconciliation.  While I am proud of the work that has been done towards reconciliation 

It breaks my heart that my Jewish, LGBTQ+, Latinx, and Black friends & family are targets of blatant hate crimes. It hurts me that decision-makers at all levels constantly choose to ignore the pleas of marginalized groups. I cannot speak for all people who are marginalized, but I can and I shall speak as someone with Jewish heritage. The stories of the horrors of the Nazi regime in Europe

As a person of Ashkenazi Jewish descent, I feel both infuriated as frightened when I learn that many American adults either do not know what occurred in these death facilities or { even worse deny that the Holocaust happened.} The Holocaust is a part of the collective story of Jewish people in all nations-- even in those of us who do not practice Judaism nor " look Jewish". I am fully aware that my appearance favors that of my father's Celtic heritage, and it pains my heart when I think about how my blonde appearance might have allowed me to hide my Jewishness.  In recent months I made a conscious choice to identify with my Jewish half-- and not hide. 



It angers me that  when I worship with my Jewish friends at the Reform Synagogue here in town, that everyone is looking around the corner & behind our backs for anything that seems threatening.  I hate that my own Episcopal parish community is looking at practices and policies that will make our own campus safer. 

This is the reality of life in these United States for Jews, Black people, Brown people, LGBTQ+ people and others. We need to stand up to the cultural bullying that is behind anti-Semitism and other " isms" and show everyone the beauty that is a diverse America.

   No one should feel the need to hide.

~Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment