Monday, February 10, 2020

The First Amendment is for EVERYONE

Today I want to discuss the First Amendment to the Constitution of The United States Of America. As a person who majored in journalism in college, I take the rights that this amendment provides very seriously. 

 As a matter of fact, I take this amendment so seriously that in good faith, I cannot deny the White Nationalists who descended on our nation's capital in droves their right to the freedom of SPEECH ...to peaceably ASSEMBLE... 

  Now please do not misunderstand my point-- I am DISGUSTED by White Nationalism and find their message of hate ABHORRANT. I rack my brain trying to understand the sort of small-minded hatred that would lead a group of people to want to march down the street of our nation's capital city voicing that White Nationalists need to " take the country back". First of all, shouldn't logic dictate that Native American tribes are the ones who should be marching in DC in demand of their land back

  Even though I { and many people I know and love} find the message of neo-Nazism and White Supremacy disgusting, I cannot deny people their First Amendment rights. As long as their protests remain peaceful, anyone can organize a political demonstration.

  However, I read today that the State Legislature in West Virginia is trying to pass a law that will criminalize civil disobedience  against gas pipelines. This angers me, because if the First Amendment allows for White Supremist hate groups to assemble and peacefully express their message, environmentalists in West Virginia should also have that right.

  Yes, I agree with the environmentalists in The Mountain State and I find White Supremacy cowardly and disgusting, but they are BOTH protected by our Constitution.

  Protecting the first Amendment rights for ALL PERSONS is essential to maintaining a free society.

 
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

  Amen, sister! 

~Sarah 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment