Thursday, February 13, 2020

When Words " Defile"

My priest used this passage from Matthew's Gospel yesterday during Mass. 

"And he called the people to him and said to them, “Hear and understand: it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.” 12 Then the disciples came and said to him, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?” He answered, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be rooted up.  Let them alone; they are blind guides.[a] And if the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.” But Peter said to him, “Explain the parable to us.” And he said, “Are you also still without understanding?  Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled?[b] But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person.For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone."~ Matt 15:10-20 

 After  reading the lesson, she  played a meditation on this passage that made me ponder the question of words' ability to " defile a person. 

  There is no doubt that we are in divisive times. As followers of the Light, perhaps we Christians are supposed to stay away from divisive talk-- in person and especially on social media.  Another priest I know posted online about how he is wary nd weary of the way that people use Facebook { and other social media} merely to post divisive political memes.  After a lot of soul-searching done in my own heart awhile back, I chose to be much more mindful of my words on social media.  

Words do have power, and we people-of-faith need to choose words carefully. A measuring stick for social media sharing that I use is" Does this reflect the love for ALL PEOPLE { even & especially those who are on the opposite political viewpoint from me?"  Using this policy, I've discovered that my entire social-media experience has been more positive & life-affirming.  While I do not COMPLETELY shy away from social-justice issues, I am careful  regarding the content of ANYTHING which others may perceive as ' political', and posting disclaimers of someone ** might** read  my post as " political" 

This policy has also brought me closer to the person I am at the core. I'm NOT  militant person, and when I fuel my righteous anger, I tend to become verbally combative. Truth be told, I really do not like myself when I am angry and combative. 

Yes, sometimes righteous anger is required-- without such anger, nothing will change. However, alienating people whose views differ from my own is NOT the way  for Christians and other people of conscious to come together to build better communities. 

Also, refraining from posting inflammatory political content to my social media platforms has also kept away people who enjoy " trolling" . Rather than reducing someone to status of Internet Troll, I've learned to open my eyes and heart to who they are regardless of their politics. By tossing aside politics, social media has become a platform for allowing me to see the goodness in people-- even if their politics do not align with my own. I see people who love their families, are passionate about their work and hobbies, and possess a deep faith in the same loving Creator as me. 

Words CAN and DO " defile" and we should be responsible with using them-- in person and ESPECIALLY on social media platforms. 


Let all we say and do be rooted in LOVE 

Peace,
Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment