Thursday, November 11, 2021

Journey Statement


                                                     I am a BIG fan of John Pavlovitz. 

Last evening Brian and I attended a Wednesday night programming {yes, we are slo-ow-ly moving into post-pandemic life} at our church. It was the last chapter of a four-week program on _Wellness_ and our rector presented on " spiritual wellness". 

It was quite good, but I am highlighting my biggest take-away from her presentation. I think this idea is good for several reasons, one main reason being that it can apply to any spiritual path--- it is not exclusive to we Christians.

A Journey Question, or Journey Statement, is one that should point us towards being our best selves. {In Christianity--being our best selves is spelled out by Jesus' Way of Love} How should we strive to live out our days on Earth? 

At the tail end of a pandemic, with many societal and several personal losses happening over the past two years, I've been pondering this question a lot lately. 

Why am I here. What is my legacy? How can I, Sarah, make the most out of the approximately 45 years {hopefully} that I've left to grace this Earth. I'll share some song lyrics that have been running in my head on auto-play lately. I am not a huge fan of country music, but these Tim McGraw lyrics beg the same question that I'm asking myself.... 

"And I loved deeper
And I spoke sweeter
And I gave forgiveness I'd been denyin' "

And he said "Someday I hope you get the chance
To live like you were dyin' "

Like tomorrow was the end
And ya got eternity to think about what to do with it
What you'll do with it?
What can I do with it?
What would I do with it?"  ~ Tim McGraw _ Live Like You Were Dying_

Living through this pandemic, plus the added fact that I am in my mid-forties-- has me feeling rather contemplative. How can I best live out my Baptismal Covenant -- and be the best version of myself-- during the second act of life? How can I be a servant-leader in my community and how can I best use the gifts granted to me by our Creator to serve others? 

I can, with God's help, make the world a better, kinder, more compassionate place. Will I screw up? Yes. Yet I rest secure that I am Beloved -- and each new days is a chance to do my part to promote kindness, compassion and love for all. 

We as a society are emerging from the ugliest season in my lifetime, and there are many communal and individual trauma wounds that we all need to nurse back to health. Covid-tide has taken its toll on our collective emotional, physical, mental and spiritual health. 

How will we use our allotment of post-pandemic time on Earth?  I, for one, am tired of all the ugliness that the pandemic brought to the surface.  Each day, let me strive to be light for others. 

Amen. 

~Sarah McCarren

11 Nov 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment