Tuesday, September 14, 2021

" Let it Go Let it Go"

 

                                                     Disney's " Elsa" giving the side eye. 

I am NOT a fan, for many reasons, of Disney. However, I do enjoy some of their music and am especially drawn to the female-empowerment theme of both _Frozen_ and _Frozen 2_ { My niece loves these characters, so I am glad to have a chance { excuse} to be a fan as well. 

  Here are some lyrics to the hit song-- sung by the fabulous Idina Menzel-- that speak to my soul right now. 

      "It's time to see

What I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
Let it go
Let it go
I am one with the wind and sky
Let it go
Let it go
You'll never see me cry
Here I stand and here I'll stay
Let the storm rage on, oh!
My power flurries through the air into the ground
My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
And one thought crystallises like an icy blast
I'm never going back
The past is in the past...." ~Elsa _Frozen_

This Pandemic, racial tension caused by violence from state-sanctioned officers, and the political turmoil both here and abroad have left me REALLY  questioning the types of people I have in my circle. Sadly, over the last 18 months { right after George Floyd was murdered} I tried to have a discussion online with several people I knew from my first attempt at college back in the late 1990's. due to the fact that they could not listen to my explaining White Privilege to them.  No, I have not and shall not cut these good but misguided people from my life, but I also will step back from interactions { either online or in-person} with them. 

  I've let a lot go--- but in the process of letting go-- I've stepped into the prophetic role that God, in Their wisdom, always wanted for me. It comes at a great cost, but as a Christian I know that being His followers isn't about cheap grace. 

  White guilt is a thing , and I surely still experience it from time to time. But I am reminded -- often by the Black activist leaders I know here in town-- that this is not my agenda. 

  Growing up in Central Appalachia, there were almost no People-of-Color. It took until I went back to college at The University Of West Florida  and was subjected to disdain for " White Girl" by Black coworkers and classmates. My parents raised my brother and me to not be racist, but what we did not understand as children is that we--by accident of having White skin-- experience life in these United States differently than our siblings-of-color. 

  My own journey to becoming antiracist has been both wonderful and scary . I live in a small city in the Deep South, where many White families still celebrate their Confederate heritage. I'm learning that being effectively antiracist means dropping that " safe nice White Woman" identity and invest some blood , sweat & tears into this work. 

  " No Justice. No Peace."  is a chant that is used during several marches and demonstrations that I've attended in Pensacola.  But I realize now that my words need to be backed by more action. And tis action needs to be led by our siblings-of-color--- this is THEIR reality and as White supporters it behooves us to follow their lead. 

  In other words, to shut our mouths and open ears and hearts. White guilt is a thing , and I surely still experience it from time to time. But I am reminded -- often by the Black activist leaders I know here in town-- that this is not my agenda. 

  With Love, Light And Liberation for all....

  ~Sarah McCarren

    Sept 14 2021

  


    

No comments:

Post a Comment