Thursday, February 25, 2021

The Abalone Shell's Universal Spiritual Appeal

       Photo of the abalone shell that was gifted to me by a friend. Native to cooler waters, these mollusks are sacred to many cultures around the world. My one-decade St Joan of Arc rosary is intentionally-placed in the shell. Photo by The Pensacola Hippie. 

One of my good friends gifted me a simply beautiful, thoughtful gift . It is a whole abalone shells that now takes up residence on my home altar among my other sacred objects. 

To be honest, I did not know too much about abalones when I was gifted this shell. I knew that the beautiful  mother-of-pearl is often used to make jewelry , butt hat had been the extent of my education regarding these creatures, 

A simple Google search showed me that these univalve mollusks are sacred to many cultures. Although the outside of the abalone is ordinary-looking, the internal part of she she is radiant with an array of colors { The colors apparently are the results of the types of seaweed an individual abalone eats during its lifetime}

The Maori people of New Zealand use the abalone to make eyes for their warriors and gods. The tough outer part of the abalone is shaped like a warrior's shield, and many associate it with protection. Maoris believe that adornments made with this shell provide strength to the wearer. 

Many North American First Nations people combine the healing powers of the abalone shell with the sacred act of burning sage. 

Cultures worldwide associate the abalone with the power of the ocean. For me, a Christian who is tied to the more Nature-loving Celtic expression of my Christian faith, I associate the abalone with the waters of Baptism. The strength of the shell reminds me to " stand strong" in my faith-- and to live out the Gospel in a way that honors all persons. 

Today I am grateful for the abalone shell. 

Amen. 

~Sarah McCarren 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment