Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Honoring #EatingDisorder survivors & remembering the victims

 

Eating Disorder Awareness Ribbon

This week is, among other " weeks" , is Eating Disorder Awareness Week. 

Hi. My name is Sarah. I am a survivor of an Eating Disorder. 

I am grateful for the grace of God, the love of my parents, coaches & friends. I spent too many years-- all of my teen years & most of my 20's-- battling an invisible, insidious enemy. It landed me in a hospital. The effects of the disease harmed my family, teammates and friends. Over time, this disorder permanently altered my body chemistry so that I will never bear children. 

Yet I am alive . So many people-- individuals of all ages, races, genders, demographics, ect can develop an eating disorder. yes men can develop ED's too.  There is no-- contrary to popular belief-- " look" of a person with an eating disorder-- all body types are vulnerable. 

Eating disorders-- unlike what the media portrays  is not a " middle-class White woman's problem. " yet many medical professionals and most  of the general public refuse to take eating disorders & the treatment of them seriously.  When I was in the throes of my illness I often felt alone and frustrated that no support systems were offered to me . Americans are great about offering support to those who battle with alcoholism & other illnesses that cause dangerous behavior, but somehow people with eating disorders are seen as merely "weak" or " attention-seeking". Support is essential for those who suffer from eating disorders-- I am so blessed that I had enough support to manage my symptoms enugh to work in recovery. 

Also, recovery from eating disorders is life-long. 

Finally, if you or someone you know is struggling with this illness please feel free to reach out to me. 

Peace,
Sarah McCarren 




No comments:

Post a Comment