Thursday, February 11, 2021

Being " Salt & Light" in an Unreal Reality.

   
                  Sermon quote from my priest that popped up on my Facebook memories today. 

          I've been thinking about Lent.  To be honest, I really am not too thrilled with observing this season in 2021.  Normally I love a chance for some self-reflection, self-denial, and more " quiet time".  However, this pandemic has been one seemingly endless Lenten season.

 I know I am not alone when I say that our lives have been uprooted-- public safety has forced us to abstain from much of what makes " ordinary time" sweet. 

 As much as I am introverted, I've spent entirely too much time alone in self-reflection since March. While the absence of movie-going, plane-riding, and big in-person community events is no HUGE sacrifice for me, being restricted from in-person Bible studies, coffee dates indoors with friends, and ability to go to the gym on rainy days does leave me weary. 

   I can endure pretty much anything for a season, but knowing that we are rounding the corner to 12 full months of Pandemic Life makes me pause. 

   How ** can ** we observe a meaningful Lent during this continued Pandemic Life?  Perhaps the question is should we bother to observe Lent while LIVING Lent? 

  The Gospel of Matthew says this: 

You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

   Jesus tells us that we ARE ' salt and light'.  He tells is to let our light shine--- every day. 

   Perhaps we Christians are called to look differently at Lent this year? Perhaps we are called into a ministry that can ** only** be carried out from home. Maybe we are called to reconcile with  someone with whom we've had a falling out?  Maybe God is asking us to use this time to engage our minds and hearts with LISTENING to voices of oppressed persons.  Perhaps some of us are called to tend to and nurture our part of this beautiful Earth by cultivating a garden, or participating in an organized trash pick-up near our homes? 

  If I have learned anything from these long months of Pandemic Life, it is how to think and act in new ways that feed my soul and bring glory to our Creator. 

Amen. 

~Sarah McCarren


 

No comments:

Post a Comment