Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Benson/Stabler: Friends Forever

 

Images pulled prom the Internet of my favorite TV " couple" , Benson & Stabler from Law & Order: SVU.  I am TOTALLY excited about Stabler making a guest appearance on the season-opening episode of SVU AND the character starring in his own show. 

My priest's sermon for this week's Gospel lesson has me thinking about true friendship.  I'm blessed with several true blue girl friends, but there is something special about knowing someone long-term. Right now, my best friend is my spouse , but I have other friends from my past who have grown along with me.  Its such a blessing to know that someone "has your back", and loves you in spite of yourself. Brian IS my best friend, but I've a long-term gal pal whom I've known since we were toddlers. Ana is my secret-keeper and one of my biggest champions and I am hers. 

But I'd like to turn to a fictional relationship that has captured my imagination since 1999. It is the lead detective of the show Law & Order : Special Victims' Unit 's relationship with her first partner.  At first glance, Olivia Benson & Eliot Stabler appear to be total opposites. I remember watching them together during season one and wondering why one or both of them did not request a new partner. Eliot's temper would get in the way of his good heart and eventually be his undoing at SVU while Olivia Benson is steadfast.  Stabler is married { albit that is a complicated relationship} with children while Olivia is perpetually single. 

I must add that I find both Chris Meloni and Mariska Hargitay, the actors who portray these characters,  as incredibly attractive .However,  Chris looks his age while Mariska seems to get more beautiful s the years pass. 

Anyway, these two characters are together as partners & friends for twelve seasons. There are too many wonderful Benson/Stabler moments for me to recall at once, but I do remember Stabler's wife refer to his partner as a " work wife". 

The nature of police work requires that partners always look out for one another, and by spending so much time together, Benson & Stabler developed a deep friendship with hints of physical attraction to each other. The relationship dynamic shared among Benson, Stabler & Stabler's wife is messy.  His wife, Kathy, once talked privately to Benson, asking her to encourage Stabler to sign divorce papers. In another episode  , Olivia volunteers to drive Kathy to her doctor's appointment since Stabler had  a lead on a case. In this episode  Someone T-bone's Olivia's care, trapping an injured , very pregnant Kathy in the car. Kathy goes into labor, and Olivia helps bring the baby safely outside the womb.  At the end of the show, Stabler hugs Benson tightly.

Partners and friends.  

Men & women can be best friends, without the relationship turning romantic, and I am glad that the writers of the show put just enough sexual tension between Benson/Stabler to keep people guessing. 

I'm not sure what the writers have in store for this duo in the new season, but I  hope that they explain why Eliot left so abruptly-- without mentioning to his partner that he wanted to retire. This just illustrates taht friends, even best friends, will hurt each other. No one is perfect.  { At any rate, I wouldn't mind at all if , when she sees Eliot, she slaps him hard on the face. How he left---letting their boss break the news was not okay } 

As these two fictional characters show us, real friendship is messy. As a matter of fact, one can argue that friendship is even messier than one's relationship with one's spouse. Two people who , like Benson & Stabler, spend a lot of time together for year tend to see the best and worst versions of each other.  I am grateful for Ana because she's seen me at my best & worst -- yet has not given up on me.  Likewise, I think that Benson/Stabler will still be close-- hopefully Stabler has grown a lot in the years he's been absent.  As for my opinion on an eventual romantic relationship for these two characters: I am ok either way. { Hopefully the writers have grown Eliot so he isn't so hot-headed and childish -- Olivia deserves  someone who acts like an adult in her life-- as she's grown since Eliot's departure. }

Friends make life better. 

Amen
~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment