Saturday, April 25, 2020

Missing The Christa Sistas' Retreat :CoronavirusLife

   My sweet soul sister, Ariana has been making Bitmoji cartoons of me.  They are adorable, nd I've saved them to my computer. The one I chose of my Bitmoji covering her face with her hands is perfect for what I feel right now. 

   Regarding the pandemic, I've moved from anger into a deep sadness. As we look towards an extended time away from people we love and as we move into wedding/graduation season, my heat aches for all the people who were to be wed in May and June as well for college high school seniors. 

  On a more personal level this weekend would have been the time that about 70 women { including our priest and her wife}would have gathered at our local Camp and Conference center for a weekend of worship study, fun, and deepening relationships. 

  Each year after the annual Women's Retreat, I've arrived back to Pensacola with knowing a woman a more than a friendly acquaintance. Friendships formed at this weekend are nurtured always, and women who are new to the parish get a chance to get to know us as a community better.. 

  I'll miss so much  of the Women's Retreat this year, but there are three things that { usually} occur here and are definitely sacred times for me. 

1. Small Groups: To me, these are the " meat "of our weekend. There are three sessions of programming,  Groups are put together carefully, mixing women of various ages, life experiences--with intention of people meeting at least one other person whom they did not know via small groups. Acquaintances become friends during these weekends  and the Holy Spirit is showing Herself every minute. 

                       ( Powerful worship service where we gave thanks to God for the sisterhood we share)

2. Sunrises by Weeks Bay:  It is hard to wake up early on Saturday and Sunday mornings of the retreat, but one of my favorite " thin places" is the Beckwith dock. I'll bundle up in a sweatshirt { and sometimes a blanket} and walk to the dock with my prayer book, cup of coffee and phone. As the sun rises over the water, I do my best to capture the incredible color palette of the sunrise sky. 

{ God's Front Yard at Daybreak} 
{Sunrise From the Beckwith Dock}

3. Sacrament of Reconciliation . Since our retreat takes place during the Great 50 days of Easter, for the past two years I've made my yearly confession.  We at St Christopher's  Pensacola are blessed with two wonderful priests, but I've felt comfortable with our rector since I first met her years ago. { before Brian and I moved to Pensacola} Last year we met at the outdoor chapel for the Reconciliation Rite and my soul felt immediately better { and I followed her practical advice }  This Eastertide, I am not sure how I'll be able to make my Confession and that saddens me.  Even though Confession { or Reconciliation} is totally optional in The Episcopal church, I've made mine yearly. I am sure how I'll do it this year, but not during Eastertide, and probably not at Beckwith. 

                     { This is an older photo of my priest, " Colonel", & me but I love it. }
  
There is much more that I miss about this weekend, but  the saying is " What happens at Beckwith stays at Beckwith . ".  

 I realize that this particular " deployment" requires most of us to do our part and stay home. Additionally, I realize that Beckwith will be there when we are able to gather in groups again. But , like the forbearers of our faith, I lament this deployment to this strange land of Pandemic. 

 Sistas, I love you! Stay well, and reach out to me if I can help you. 

 Pax Christos,
 ~Sarah





No comments:

Post a Comment