Thursday, April 16, 2020

Its the Little Things that Keep Me Sane... #CoronaVirusLife

 I'm learning to embrace the little pleasures in life,  Since this virus has humanity physically separated from those we love, I am learning again to use all five senses 

  Yesterday Brian and I took a walk on the nature trail up by the university, and I opened my ears to the sounds of several different bird callings When we walked near the water I looked for the resident turtle-- and felt glad when I spotted it swimming near us. Brian and I also saw a blue-tailed skink. 

  At home, I am lighting ritual candles before night prayer time on Zoom. Seeing the light and smelling the flame reminds me that sacred spaces are not confined to a church or synagogue-- that any time faithful people gather together to pray, there is God among them. I've found that making use of my home altar aids in the sense of connectedness I feel to others-- especially during this time of physical distancing. There is a white, lavender-scented candle in the center of my home altar that I use as a Christ-candle. It is lit before  Facebook Live Mass and before evening Zoom Compline. Also on the altar is a cup full of salt water that I can touch in order to remind myself of the Baptismal Covenant . 

  Rituals, and ritual items keep my soul grounded during this time that life is rather untethered. 

 This morning I treated myself to a deep-conditioning hair treatment at home. Salons may be closed, but I am able to purchase decent hair products and enjoy how post-treatment hair looks, smells and feels. I also bought myself a new lip gloss-- one that makes my lips feel smooth and smells like strawberries.  I may be stuck at home, but I can still treat myself to some little luxuries that make me look and feel better. 

 " Self-care" looks different for each person, but it is essential that we take time and space to tend to our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well-being during this time. 

  Namaste, 
  ~Sarah


1 comment:

  1. Excellent advice. Creating pleasant rituals is a good way to get through unpleasant times. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete