Friday, April 17, 2020

After Qurantine: What Next?



 Since I've been on some prescription anti-anxiety medication, I've realized that my thoughts are no longer racing, my sleep is much more regular, and I don't forget what day or time it is during this weird time in history that we humans find ourselves currently.

  One of my friends wrote an essay that posed the question that I am sure is on the minds of many people. After the governments start to { slowly, I hope} lift the ban and restrictions of this quarantine, what sort of " normal" will be waiting for us?

  For me, I know I will never  take things for granted that give me joy.  Here is a list of parts of my life that this virus has me missing:
 
 ~ Hanging out on the beach. Brian and I like to spend time there-- usually just the two of us. He fishes, I sit and read a book.
 
~ IN-PERSON Church. While our team of faithful servants are doing a fabulous job of keeping my parish people connected remotely, I miss receiving the Body & Blood of Christ weekly. However, I miss the joy of worshipping  alongside my siblings-in-Christ. While I probably will be more careful when passing the Peace at church, even chances to look into others' eyes and wish them God's Peace will fill my soul after this time apart. It will be an extra joy-filled Sunday when Brian and I are able to serve Communion at the altar alongside our clergy at the  8 A.M. Mass.

  ~Airplanes. We live near the airport , and the sound of commercial jets is a constant, reassuring background noise. the sky has been quiet-- save for some cargo jets and private planes that belong to the rich 1 percent of people who can travel where they please.

   ~Shopping without fear of police presence. I still am baffled and rather frightened of the scene that I witnessed when trying to get into our local Walmart -- armed city cops and a line of people waiting to go into Walmart. Ugh. One of the post-quarantine changes that Brian and I decided to make is to no longer patronize them. Winn-Dixie has good prices, a cleaner store, and wonderful staff.

   ~Visiting my parents. Tis virus threat has my Dad concerned about contacting/spreading the illness, so there have been no in-person visits in what seems like eons.

          However, I will still take careful measures once we are lowed to socialize normally again. I know that Brian and I will not attend any ball games, concerts, or Gallery Nights this summer. We'll also avoid movie theatres.

  During my plane rides to and from Pittsburgh this summer I'll be wearing a mask & disposable gloves { hah, won't those TSA agents in Pensacola just love me for insisting on a mask and gloves. I will also tell them that I will not consent to a pat-down-- they can use their magic wand to see that the metal I carry in my lower back is medical rods and screws which cannot be removed without major surgery! 

   Additionally, I will carry a reusable water bottle with me-- and avoid public drinking fountains.

   I won't shake hands with strangers. As someone who is introverted in many ways, not shaking hands and staying six feet away from people unfamiliar to me is not much of a sacrifice. As an introvert with a strong  " extroverted feeling"  function on the Myers-Briggs personality scale, I am affectionate with those I know and love but am naturally cautious around strangers.

  It is my hope and prayer that we emerge back into society as a kinder more compassionate people. Perhaps this virus was humanity's wake-up call -- reminding us that we are all human. I'd like to see some laws passed to help those on the socioeconomic fringes of society and I want to see Florida's public school employees receive huge raises. 

 I pray that our eventual return to our new normal will be an Easter like no other.

 Alleluia, Amen.

 ~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment