Friday, June 17, 2022

When words fail #Birmingham

 


Brian and I came home from a wonderful evening out. I turned on my computer to check Facebook once before getting ready to retire for the night and the horrible news struck me 

 A shooting at an Episcopal church located outside of Birmingham, Alabama left one person dead, and two others seriously wounded. 

Suffice it to say, I did not sleep at all last evening. 

I'm sad. But my sadness is overcome by ANGER. I saw the Alabama Governor's plea for " prayers" for the people of St Stephen's Episcopal parish & the surrounding community-- and I am indignant. Alabama-- like the rest of this wretched nation-- needs prayers to be backed by ACTION. 

Friends, I do all the ' things" I write letters, attend public protests, give money and time to candidates who believe in gun reform {note I said gun REFORM--- not gun control} Yet in spite of the efforts of myself and others like me-- more guns are killing more people in places that are supposed to be safe havens--- schools and places of worship. 

Poet/Singer Ani DiFranco says it best: 

What is it about Birmingham?
What is it about buffalo?
Did the hate filled wanna build bunkers
In your beautiful red earth
They want to build them
In our shiny white snow
Now I've drawn closed the curtain
In this little booth where the truth has no place to stand
And I am feeling oh so powerless
In this stupid booth with this useless
Little lever in my hand
And outside my city is bracing
For the next killing thing
Standing by the bridge and praying
For the next doctor
Martin Luther King
~ A. DiFranco " Hello , Birmingham

I am frightened for my own community of Pensacola-- and especially the schools and worshipping communities in this wonderful yet undeniably broken city. 

As an Episcopalian, this recent act of violence tears at my soul more than other ones in 2022. The diocese is located just north of Pensacola {the upper two-thirds of Alabama} . This attack is literally " too close for comfort". My bishop was the rector of that parish before we elected him , and he is intimately familiar with this St Stephen's  community. 

They are his people. 

By virtue of my baptism and confirmation, they are also my people. 

 Additionally, my own faith community is re-vamping our Sunday morning security--- as ushers Brian and I are aware of the new policies that will hopefully keep our people safe from a dangerous intruder. Let's face it, good people, the best made security plans might not stop a tragedy. 

Reforming weapons access is a start-- but it isn't the only solution. Hearts and minds need to be changed in order for this deadly pandemic of violence to end.  High powered machine guns and the huge ammo magazines cannot kill by their own accord.  People choose to commit mass murder, so passing anti-discrimination laws and EDUCATING each other about the beautiful diversity of humanity is also necessary to end the mass murders. 

Laws only work when people understand  that their " needs" DO NOT preclude the safety and health of the entire community. Sadly, I am certain that I know people who-- if the unthinkable were to happen in my own faith family-- would still choose guns over saving lives. It is true that guns alone are not the whole problem with mass shootings, but people's unrestricted access to these dangerous machines  IS fueling the problem. 

I'm tired, y'all--- I am so damn tired. 

Kyrie elesion....

~Sarah McCarren 


No comments:

Post a Comment