Tuesday, May 3, 2022

A Poem. {Which might ge me put in FB Jail for the first time }

I wrote a poem today. This is my FIRST poem in 15 years, so I am a wee bit rusty in that genre. But after last night's leak of the draft of the SCOTUS 's opinion on overturning Roe V Wade, I HAD to speak out. Someone whom I admire and whose works feed my soul reminded me that prophets in Scripture spoke truth to power via poetry. 

I'm in good company, amiright?  

There isn't much I can do with what will probably happen . However, if I learned anything in these weird times we've been in, I've learned the power of a few dedicated citizens.  In the words of rock group Twisted Sister 

"We're not gonna take it

No, we ain't gonna take it
We're not gonna take it anymore
We've got the right to choose, and
There ain't no way we'll lose it
This is our life, this is our song
We'll fight the powers that be, just
Don't pick on our destiny 'cause

You don't know us, you don't belong.." 


Here is MY poem... after a 15 year hiatus.............................................

Compartmentalization: A Poem

" My body, My choice" they cried..
refusing to take a series of vaccines
protecting themselves
and OTHERS
brought to them by reputable science
No charge.
FREEDOM FIRST they cried...
as people continued to fall ill
some dying,
others permanently and adversely
affected
by a preventable illness.
All the time not masking
standing at the altar
of false ideals
of what " freedom" means.
" MY BODY, MY CHOICEe I cry...
standing in solidarity
with uterus-owners everywhere.
watching scared and angry
as old men
and one crazy bitch
strip away body agency
with the stroke of a pen.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment