Saturday, November 25, 2023

The Gift of Music Lessons

                                            Photo of me at the gorgeous piano at my Atlanta family's home over Thanksgiving.  Photo by Barbara , aka Mom. 

Wednesday, November 29 marks the one-year anniversary of my piano study journey. 

I know folks are probably sick of me flooding social media with music-related content-- but hey-- I look at everyone's kids & grandkids every damn day. 

I get it . Progeny are blessings. 

But for those of us who find ourselves at midlife with no progeny {be this by choice or circumstance}, we often need to carve different paths for the second half of life.  Before anyone skewers me online for being " anti-parent" and " hateful"{yeah, this actually happened to me} I know how important parenthood is-- and I respect the good parents I know. 

But parenthood and grandparenthood are not in my path. At midlife, I've been given a wonderful chance to learn music-- piano music in particular.  I've always wanted to learn piano-- so realizing a lifelong dream at middle-age is an incredible blessing. 

I am not the easiest piano student. I'm neurodivergent, and part of my " crossed wiring" has me struggle with the right & left sides of my brain communicating effectively. Additionally, my eyes have trouble tracing-- which is why I could never play softball or tennis and am not-- as much as I tried-- a good basketball player. 

First of all, I'd like to thank Brian, my spouse. Without him, nothing I do would be possible, including music lessons. For nearly every Wednesday, Brian sits patiently while I am in my half-hour lesson, staring at the beautiful guitars, working crossword puzzles, or chatting with the staff. He's proud of me-- and I am grateful for his support. In addition to transporting me to my lessons, he puts up with my daily practicing-- and even says he enjoys listening to me. Often, I'll play the same phrase over and over, trying to perfect the notes and/or rhythm and timing. 

My teacher makes this possible too. While I am sure there are many wonderful piano teachers in the Pensacola area, having someone who understands the neurodivergent brain and can adjust the teaching methods to accommodate my needs is such a gift. 

Music education is so important. In this crazy, divided world, there are few things left that unite us as people. Music unites us-- and makes us human. From a spiritual perspective art-- any art-- allows us to co-create with our Creator. 

It is never too late to fulfil a childhood dream. And, since I've no obligations to children or grandchildren, I can more fully focus on music. I'm grateful that I can always find time to practice daily.  Brian and I designed a room that is mine. I call it the Music Room {Hats off to my late friend Lynne " Doc" Lauderdale -- she loved her own Music Room. }

Music gives me more self-confidence. There is a lot of satisfaction in learning something that teachers to me was " impossible" due to clumsy hands and short attention span. Interestingly, music study has improved my attention span. It has also improved my problem-solving abilities.  Sight reading songs before lessons can help with basic problem-solving skills. 

Music study has also brought more wonderful people into my life. Musicians love talking shop with other musicians, and I've gotten so much encouragement from other musicians I know. 

Making music is life-changing for me. 

With a song in my heart...

Sarahbeth McCarren 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment