Monday, September 18, 2023

Make a Difference: Mentor

                                     Bill and Marsha, two people who " Took Stock"in Sarahbeth. I cannot begin to list all the lessons they've taught me over my lifetime. 

I am blessed to be " retired. While we certainly have enough money, Brian and I cannot fund huge philanthropic projects. 

We do, however have time to spend. As a person of faith, AND a good citizen, I believe in serving others in however way I am called to serve. There are a lot of needs, and no one can do ALL the work that needs t be done for a more just and equal world. 

I had wanted to get involved with my local Big Brothers/ Big Sisters organization ere in Pensacola. Since I do not drive {NOT my choice}, I felt that it would not be fair to a " little" if I could not treat her to outings such as ball games, festivals, etc. 

I knew of a family whose student went to college on a Take Stock in Children scholarship over in the neighboring county, so last year I began investigating becoming a mentor with this organization. 

Here is the web site: 

https://www.takestockinchildren.org/

My student is an 8th grade girl. I cannot, for privacy's sake, share too much about her publicly, but suffice it to say that she is a delightful child whom I am enjoying getting to know. She and I are still in the " getting-to-know-each-other" phase of our mentorship, and we have much in common {her grades are way better than mine ever were-- especially in 8th grade!} She and I share some hobbies and interests, too. 

Throughout my life, I have been and still am blessed with people to whom I look up-- people I choose to have in my life. Bill and Marsha, pictured above, are two of the most consistent people who " took stock" in me but there are many others. I am grateful to have an opportunity to share some of the wisdom I've gleaned from almost 50 years of life.  

Mentoring is a natural fit for me since I thrive on one-on-one relationships and prefer a five-year commitment to one student rather than receiving a new young person to mentor every August. 

My neurodivergent brain thrives on consistency, so long-term commitments are not a problem for me. 

I've also discovered that my personality suits mentoring an older student rather than helping a pre-kindergarten student with her reading. Of course, that was fun and extremely worthwhile, but just not a good fit for my personality and skill set. 

Time is a treasure that each of us has and spending it wisely to help others is such a blessing-- and our calling as people of faith. 

Amen..


Sarahbeth McCarren 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment