Thursday, May 11, 2023

Hiking as spiritual practice


                                             One of my favorite hiking photos of Brian and me. Grandfather Mountain, NC 

"Stepping onto a brand-new path is difficult, but not more difficult than remaining in a situation, which is not nurturing to the whole woman."

- Maya Angelou

 I love to hike. Brian and I spend a lot of time hiking around our Pensacola, Florida home. Our part of the state is home to several diverse biomes. We even have *** some*** elevation--Our house in town is located 101 feet above sea level. 

 I grew up in the ridge-and-valley Appalachian Mountains near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and most of my free time as a child were spent in the woods.   My first woodland playground was on " the path" -- which was on an empty lot that the neighbors graciously let neighborhood children claim as our own. Later it was exploring the rugged woodland paths on my godparents' property during my days off from working at their recreational park during summers of my teen years and very early adulthood. 
 
Let's face it, I am the embodiment of a Celtic wood nymph! 

One of the reasons why hiking appeals to me is the discovery of wonders of Creation along new trails. While hiking familiar spots, such as Grandfather Mountain in western North Carolina, is also satisfying, there is a special sense of accomplishment that comes with A} discovering new hiking trails and B} conquering new trails. 

Hiking can be seen as a spiritual practice-- because venturing into the woods -- a wilderness-- takes trust. Hikers need to trust their hiking buddies, their shoes {very important to have sturdy and reliable footwear on hikes} their map and {or app} Hikers also need to be aware of the weather, be on the lookout for dangerous wildlife and poisonous plants and walk mindfully. 

Taking long, vigorous walks in the woods is a spiritual practice. Hikers are in the middle of God's beautiful Creation-- and {hopefully} slowing down enough to appreciate the surroundings. Additionally, trust is employed each time we modern humans venture into the woods. 

I'd choose walking in the woods or along the coast over the big-city indoor urban jungle any time.  I feel the most " Sarah Beth" when I'm outdoors because I am in the company of    the great " I Am". 

Happy Hiking, friends....

Sarah Beth McCarren 
May 11, 2023


No comments:

Post a Comment