Saturday, April 15, 2023

A Musical Family


                                                    Brian's new-to-him Gretsch guitar 

We are a musical family. 

I'm on the piano, and last week, we bought Brian a well-cared-for Gretsch guitar. He had played some as a much younger person and has been staring at the guitar displays every time we go into our local full-line {they do EVERYTHING, sales, repairs, lessons, audio, piano moving-- you name it!} and locally owned music store. I take lessons there, so he had plenty of time to drool at all the guitars. 

Shameless plug : Blues Angel Music . 

If COVID taught me anything, it is that Life Is Short  . We figured out that we could sell a few of his well-loved but very seldom used outdoor hobbyist gear and use that money to buy his guitar. Someone else can now afford a decent hunting rifle {I'm relieved he never got into that sport, as I am very nearly a total vegetarian.} and some of his heavy fishing tackle. {He still likes to fish, but not as often nor needing the strong rod-and-reel setups. }

You must have a room, or a certain hour or so a day, where you don’t know what was in the newspapers that morning, you don’t know who your friends are, you don’t know what you owe anybody, you don’t know what anybody owes to you. This is a place where you can simply experience and bring forth what you are and what you might be. ~Joseph Campbell

I actually DO have a room where I go at least once each day. My music room is a sacred space, a place where I go to leave the troubles of this messed-up world behind. A " sanctuary" need not be a place of worship, my music room is a safe place for me to go to just be-- even if I don't touch the piano keys. 

                               Pardon the " mess" , but this is my Music Room" As you can tell, it is Sarah."

Music is ' not " extra". Music is essential to maintain our humanity-- especially in this divided world. Music unites us-- there is a style of music that can suit anyone. 

Music education is also essential. I only have one regret: that I waited until middle age to start taking lessons. I'll never be a great pianist, and I am okay with this fact. I'm grateful now to have a small repertoire of songs that I am confident enough to play-- without much thinking on my part. 

Here is an interesting article on the therapeutic effects of playing piano. 

https://coltharppianoworld.com/why-piano-playing-is-therapeutic/

Even though private piano lessons are NOT " therapy: I've noticed a big improvement in my hand-eye coordination in the few months that I've been taking lessons. The hope is for my right-brain and left-brain halves to communicate better-- but that will take time. Using two hands at the same time is a big struggle for me, so I am grateful that there is no timeline. I'm learning at my own pace with a patient teacher. 

It is fun watching Brian play his guitar-- he remembers a lot from years ago and the gently used guitar has a GREAT sound. I enjoy listening to Brian play chords on his guitar as much as I enjoy sitting down at my piano and making my own music. 

I'm wishing everyone, peace, love and music this weekend. 

Amen. 

Sarah Beth McCarren

2 Easter 2023 







No comments:

Post a Comment